Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

plant ID and help with blue poinsetia

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

plant ID and help with blue poinsetia

Postby nel3 » Aug 10, 2012 11:41 am

i had purchased a blue poinsettia nearly a year ago and alos got one for a friend's B-DAY. her poinsettia was most likey drowned over a few months while i forgot to water mine or do so sporadically its still alive but not 100 healthy. i put 3 stick of fertilizer you can buy at a dollar store in it. the issue with the poisettia is that the leaf growth is just fine but i get no blue leaves. they turn white after they're green enough. is there anything i can do to make them green? the plant has staed inside all this summer by a window.

i had a betta fish of mine die last night and rather than flush it id like to put him in a pot. would it do anything bad for poinsetias in such a case? im thinking of putting the betta in either of these 2 plant pots.

im nnot sure which plant this braod leaf plant its a bit leathery in feeling. its pretty slow growing but has always done well.
nel3

Re: plant ID and help with blue poinsetia

Postby Peggy2296 » Aug 10, 2012 2:41 pm

The white, pink and green plant is a Peperomia. It's poisonous, just in case you have pets who might chew it.
Peggy2296

Postby Heidi S » Aug 10, 2012 4:56 pm

Sorry, Nel3, but blue pointsettias are 'made' by the growers. A home grower can probably not be ever able to replicate the colour. From your photo, I see you have whitish bracts, which the grower would have started with, then dyed to get them to go blue. I am not sure of what the dye process is they use, but just like blue carnations that have been dyed, blue pointsettia doesn't exist in nature at all.

Sometimes they are called 'painted pointsettias' in the stores and sometimes they are fancied up with glitter as well.
Heidi S,
Prince George, BC
Zone 3!

Master Gardener in Training....
Heidi S

Postby nel3 » Aug 10, 2012 6:12 pm

thank you very much for the info Peggy and Heidi. that makes 3 poisonous plants i have. one sub tropical tree with pink or white red bell flowers, a large braod leaf plant. theres no chance any pet of mine will chew them. 4 bettas and 1 crested gecko have no chance to get at them. i dont let the gecko go on any plant of mine even if he'd be happily unaware of the dangers hiding in the plants.

lol its like the fake flower i fell for on that cactus i got 2 years back. im happy the way the poinsettia is atm. its still alive to my amazement.

i do have a question regarding soils. i usually buy the 5L peat moss/perlite/composte etc soil from the stores by the company Schultz. i got a venus fly trap a few months back and had to get 1 cubic foot of spagnum moss and perlite as all other soils had ferts in them. i have the venus in a 4 inch pot which makes for alot of soil left over. i mixed a 3 part 33% soil for general use. its 1/3 perlite, black soil and spagnum. id like to add some compost to it but i dont have the need or space for another cubic foot of composte. i live in a loft unit alone. my question is if the 3 part soil i already mixed properly supplemented for general planting used? i know spagnum moss is a bit acidic and low in nutrients but im not sure where black soil is on the list of soil nutrients. Is there any small bag of composte i can find on the market? the big name stores only have the large format meant for medium to large garden plots. 5-10L bags would be desirable if they are on the market.
nel3

Return to Plant Talk