Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

BOX ELDER BUGS

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

BOX ELDER BUGS

Postby Sandy Zone 3b » Aug 13, 2012 1:59 pm

We're being overrun with these bugs now and I'm wondering how I might get rid of them.
They are mostly on the south side of the house, in flower pots everywhere.
They leave behind an awful mess bright red stains on the siding, doors etc.
I sprayed water on them but they are right back in large clumps and some spread out.
Not sure if there is any solution to this problem.
Sandy Zone 3b

Re: BOX ELDER BUGS

Postby Jersm » Aug 13, 2012 4:37 pm

I did a quick research this is what i could find.
they are basically harmless but the red product they leave behind is a anti predator tactic when distrubed. they feed mainly on acer species seeds. they like to gather together for sunning close to their host plant.

The best way i saw was using a pressure washer and soap or use a spray bottle and soap. apparantly they really do not like the soap and will not come back. I also read when it starts to get cold they tend to find ways into the house for warmth to survive winter.

also spraying their host plant they feed off some kind of acer spray it with soap and water too might help.
Jersm

Re: BOX ELDER BUGS

Postby Sandy Zone 3b » Aug 19, 2012 10:56 am

So far I tried some ammonia and water didn't seem to stop them.
I'm vacuuming them up as much as I can right now. They clump together in masses when it's cold outside. I have them all over the outside of the house eastside and southside
and inside the sunroom. :cry: :cry:
Sandy Zone 3b

Return to Plant Talk