Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Snowberry bush feedback?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Snowberry bush feedback?

Postby HeelsDown » Aug 19, 2012 10:28 pm

Okay, I had a very busy weekend in the garden as y'all may have noticed by my posts LOL! Sorry for the profusion of posts, it's just cuz you guys are just so darn helpful!!

I bought a snowberry bush last year and planted it. It kept the berries all over the winter and then they dropped in the spring (I think?). I thought it had died b/c nothing was happening, but it finally has really small pink, un-opened buds and just this week, one white berry.

The foliage is just so sparse I'm wondering if something needs to be done to it? It hasn't been the best summer probably for year old plants so wondered if that's it too and I should just leave it til next year and see how it comes through?

There are some pics of it in my album...these were taken in July, but other than these two things mentioned, it looks about the same. I can get more close up's though if that helps. Picture 11 is probably the best angle.

https://picasaweb.google.com/schmenn/Pi ... directlink

Any thoughts will be appreciated as always!!

Thanks!!
Jenn
HeelsDown

Re: Snowberry bush feedback?

Postby Jude Levett » Aug 20, 2012 10:08 am

Jenn,

I also posted about my white snowberry 'cause I did not know what it was but now I do! Mine is also very sparse this year for foliage and very gangly so my gardener transplanted it last Friday to a place closer to the front of the garden as it was too far back I think! I had lots of tiny pink flowers and lots of white berries!

Next time she is at my place which will be a couple of weeks we are going to cut it back quite a bit so it hopefully will get a nice shape to it. She is going to look it up on the internet and then if she thinks it is okay, we will cut it back to about 1.5 feet and just let it bush out next spring if you know what I mean! She will cut off all the dead branches and then leave it alone!

Dunno, it hasn't done very well in my garden for sure but I will let it go until next year and see what it looks like in the spring and then decide what to do about it but I will fertilize it next spring! So trim off all the dead branches or those that are really long and gangly and just leave it alone this year now! But, you may want to transplant it next year and fertilize it in the spring!

Of course, I am no expert for sure but a good cut-back is like a good haircut - it feels and looks great!

Check my post that says "who am I?" because a couple of posters on that thread are knowledgeable about white snowberry and maybe they can help more than I can!

Jude
Jude Levett

Postby davefrombc » Aug 20, 2012 12:42 pm

I can't help with the care and cultivation of the snow berry bush . The one here is a wild one growing on the fence line on the road frontage.
It is a fairly large shrub now, and when it grows out onto the road allowance , gets chopped up by the crews that clear offending branches and brush that may overhang onto the road allowance.
They don't grow as a single stemmed shrub , but as many canes spreading from the roots. . individual canes can look rather ratty at times. It is the clump of them that is attractive .
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby HeelsDown » Aug 20, 2012 9:35 pm

Thanks Jude! So strange that some people seem to have it growing, and growing well, as a wild bush and here I am with this scrawny bush lol!

Maybe like Dave says I should add another to it this year? Or back to just leaving it and seeing what it does.

Hmmmm....
Jenn
HeelsDown

Postby hotsummerone » Aug 21, 2012 9:40 pm

Good luck!
hotsummerone

Postby HeelsDown » Aug 23, 2012 4:39 pm

Thanks! I think I'll just leave it and see what happens...maybe trim it a little bit. Since we had a really hot summer, I decided leaving it is the best option since there were so many plants/shrubs out there that didn't perform 100%. So, we'll revisit this thread this time next year lol!

Jenn
HeelsDown

Return to Plant Talk