Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

black tomato bottoms

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

black tomato bottoms

Postby conniereed » Aug 31, 2012 1:06 pm

One of our tomato plants has tomatoes which get black on the bottom. Why is this happening? how can we prevent it from continuing? hopefully someone out there knows something about this.
conniereed

Re: black tomato bottoms

Postby B_BQ » Aug 31, 2012 2:47 pm

Sounds like blossom end rot. This is often caused by lack of nutrients, too much watering, not enough watering ... take your pick.

Just google - 'blossom end rot' - and you'll be able to read all sorts of comments and suggestions.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Aug 31, 2012 2:56 pm

Some tomatoes are more prone to ber than others, ie san marzano/plum tomatoes. Inconsistent watering can be the culprit and it has something to do with the absorption of calcium as it's growing. Like Brenda said, look it up, it's a very common problem with tomatoes. My Big Beef toms had it last year and not one this year.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Dumbo » Sep 02, 2012 4:16 pm

DonnaZn2SK wrote:Some tomatoes are more prone to ber than others, ie san marzano/plum tomatoes.

yeah, I only recently read this about san marzano a week ago.

When my tomato's first came out in June exactly one tomato per bunch was like this. I couldn't put my finger on any one thing, or how to prevent it. The other types didn't have this. Why only one tomato per bunch still has me confused. Why not two? Why not none?

Now I only see the odd one like that. What I did differently was more watering. changed to soaker hose, and didn't add anything with high nitrogen. So maybe it's a combination of everything or just one thing that did the trick. But I still see the very odd one.

SanMarzano_Wiki.jpg
example of a bunch
SanMarzano_Wiki.jpg (66.41 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
The internet is a very, very, serious entity created solely for commercial gains.
Canadian Gardening made me a hardcore separatist
Dumbo

Postby conniereed » Sep 10, 2012 4:27 am

Thank you so much. In all the years of gardening, I never experienced this before. I would hazard a guess that "inconsistent watering" has been the cause, as first our summer was too dry, and now it is wetter than usual. Its home (right beside the compost) should be a good spot otherwise. We have been planting some plum tomatoes recently as my husband prefers these, and in the past did not usually do so, which would explain why I had never noticed this before.
conniereed

Return to Plant Talk