Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Help Planting Delphinium Seeds

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Help Planting Delphinium Seeds

Postby HeelsDown » Sep 10, 2012 9:57 am

Hello!

I'm posting this on behalf of my Mom! :) She has delphinium seeds that she'd like to plant and she wanted some advice on when to do it. The package says before the first frost so we think that would be October, but her main concern is how wacky our weather has been. It was cold enough here yesterday to think winter was around the corner, but now this week it's going to be mid 20s! If she plants them too early, they would likely start growing b/c they don't get planted as deep down as, say, tulips. Is it okay if they did start growing before the frost? Or, better to wait til the absolute last minute - say mid-Oct?

Any help is appreciated as always :)
Thank you!
Jenn and Jenn's Mom
HeelsDown

Re: Help Planting Delphinium Seeds

Postby Eeyore » Sep 10, 2012 10:41 am

I threw mine into a pot late last fall and left them there this year. They will likely spend another winter in the pot and be put out next year. I would say wait another few weeks until the days and nights are consistently cool.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Plant Talk