Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Trellis Rust

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Trellis Rust

Postby Melroche » Sep 22, 2012 9:34 am

My Pear tree has something that I think is called trellis rust. Orange spots on the leaves all season...now on the underside of the leaf it has spikes sticking out. From looking on the internet..I know it's a fungus that predominately affects pears and junipers. I can't find information on what to do or how to get rid of it...suggestions please. FYI - to anyone who may remember me, we've moved AGAIN...in Mississauga now.

Cheers! and a thank you in advance to anyone who can offer me a solution to this problem
Attachments
046-shrunk.jpg
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. by Mahatma Gandhi.
Melroche

Re: Trellis Rust

Postby davefrombc » Sep 22, 2012 11:03 am

Here is a pdf on the trellis rust from the BC Ministry of Agriculture
http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/peartrellishg.pdf
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Postby B_BQ » Sep 22, 2012 3:58 pm

That's a great link Dave.

It's of particular interest to me because we have junipers that are affected - only noticeable after rains, (Kat diagnosed this for us a few years ago), - but I didn't realize that pears were affected too. My neighbour planted two pear trees last year and we're surrounded by junipers!!!!

I'm going to send her the link.

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Melroche » Sep 22, 2012 5:29 pm

Yes - thank you for the link Dave, it was very informative. I was hoping it would include info on what I can do. It basically says you can't get rid of it. One of the sites said copper sulfate spray - I don't have a clue where you'd buy that. I'd like to try something..it's nice to have a pear tree but I may have to get rid of it if you can't kill this fungus :( Hopefully someone will see it and maybe they have a solution that has worked for them. Now that I am in such a densely populated area..it may be futile...
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. by Mahatma Gandhi.
Melroche

Postby davefrombc » Sep 22, 2012 10:11 pm

Look for a fungicide spray that lists copper sulphate in its ingredients.
If there aren't too many leaves infected, you could try removing the infected ones and burning them before the infecting fungus can mature and send out spores. That would help at least reduce the spread of the infection.
BC Fraser Valley zone 7/8
davefrombc

Return to Plant Talk