Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

bringing plants in for the winter

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Re: bringing plants in for the winter

Postby Sandy Zone 3b » Oct 17, 2012 7:40 pm

I am bringing in an Ivy Geranium, it's looking better now then it did during the heat of the summer. It should grow reasonable well in a south facing window and hope it won't lose to many of it's leaves. I seem to have better luck with them then the other geraniums and I'm not sure what I do wrong!! :shock: :shock:
Attachments
IMG_0017.JPG
Raspberry Ivy Geraniums
Sandy Zone 3b

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 17, 2012 9:31 pm

I love the colours of your Ivy geraniums! I have a Martha Washington that I have just brought into the SunRoom. I took a couple of slips off it to see if I could start a new one. I'll see which one does best I guess! LOL
Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration.
RubyTuesday49

Postby Sandy Zone 3b » Oct 18, 2012 1:19 pm

I took some lime colored potato vine in already and they rooted very easily. The ivy geraniums are in the shop for now and I think I will try some slips off of them too!
I'm not sure if I will put them under the lights this time of year, as it just seemed like I just shut them off for the summer. Some of my plants seemed to take forever to get started!
Attachments
Grow Lights_0001.jpg
Starting in the spring 2012
Sandy Zone 3b

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 18, 2012 11:33 pm

I will just do as I have in past years - take some slips, and leave others in the big planters and put them in the unheated Workshop and SunRoom. I barely water them at all til Spring. I did dig up the Martha Washington and put it in a pot - I'll see how that works. Do you dip your geranium slips in rooting compound? I heard that you shouldn't do that but my Mom wanted to try it, so we shall see what results. So far I noticed that the regular geranium slips have wilted a bit as they usually do at first but the MWs haven't wilted at all (yet).
RubyTuesday49

Postby haili » Oct 20, 2012 6:29 pm

Ruby: I just dig up the whole plant but cut it back hard. They are a good size by spring and sometimes bloom at the end of winter. When I put them out they get ugly looking for awhile but then when they get their colour back, they are as big as those $30. plants you see in garden center planters. Once they start to look healthy I give them some fertilizer and they bloom beautifully. I know some people take slips and others hang plants in the basement but I'm too lazy for that and find it easier to just put them in pots.
haili

Postby A Closet Canuck » Oct 22, 2012 12:17 pm

Haili, I was hoping someone would say they dug up the whole plant and brought it in for the winter. How easy is that?! Will try it.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby RubyTuesday49 » Oct 22, 2012 10:07 pm

I've always taken slips but this year I'm going to do both slips and plants. The only trouble with taking in plants is that they sometimes bring in little flies & bugs and also it takes a fair bit of room. Lots of fun, planning & decisions - that's what makes life interesting.
RubyTuesday49

Postby nel3 » Nov 16, 2012 12:02 am

i have a 14in ch pot full of Celosia seeds that keep coming back each year. i let the cold get to them but i do bring in my Coleus pot. i had the coleus as 3 plants in a 6 inch pot from the store but upgraded to a 10 inch pot. it stays out when its warm before the cold comes around. i think its 3yrs old already. its not my favorite variety as i do prefer the square stemmed pink variety though ive owned a square stem vanilla variety before, i think i might get another one in the future if i get the chance. my current coleus had taught me a good lesson. its grows so fast ive learned to toss most trimmings aside from 1-2 backup plants.
nel3

Postby haili » Nov 17, 2012 2:09 pm

Fungus gnats came out of the plants and I should have sprayed the soil before bringing them in, even though I used fresh potting soil. I let them dry out for 3 weeks and then watered with soapy water. They seem to be gone now and the plants are fine.
haili

Postby B_BQ » Nov 17, 2012 8:01 pm

When we were in England in October I was really taken with some lovely shrubs I saw growing in many gardens. I asked my husband what they were. He said Fuchsia! I said no way. He said he grew up with them. They always had them in their garden and they just got bigger every year.
Well, as soon as I got back to Canada I had to find out whether I could grow them here. Too bad! Not in Ontario! Winters too cold! I was so disappointed.
This is a pic of one in the village where we were staying. It was about 3+ feet high x 4+ feet across. Gorgeous!
~BBQ
IMG_3085.jpg
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk