Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Lillys

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Lillys

Postby Sandy Zone 3b » Nov 04, 2012 4:28 pm

I've had my Lillys for a few years now and this summer I noticed they didn't have as many flowers as before. Do they need to be separated and planted in new areas?
What do you do with all those little bulbets that attach themselves to the sides of the bulbs?
What type of soil do they like best and when should one do this separating in the fall or spring.
Most of them bloom early summer/early fall.
Sandy Zone 3b

Re: Lillys

Postby kelly_m » Nov 04, 2012 5:56 pm

Hi sandy! yes your bulbs probably could do with some separating...Best time is the fallas long as you can still work your soil.

The little bulbets can be planted as well...though don't expect anything from them for a couple of years or so...once they mature. Also...if any of the "scales" fall off your bulb those could be planted as well.

They prefer full sun, with a gtood rich soil.....you can add something like a super triple phosphate fertilizer (I think it is 0-60-0) to your holes as you plant.

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Re: Lillys

Postby Brad555 » Nov 28, 2012 12:23 am

I am not confirmed but it may be as you are saying.
Brad555

Return to Plant Talk