Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Tulips

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Tulips

Postby lilybulb » Apr 10, 2013 12:50 pm

I was late getting my Tulips in last Fall,the weather was nasty,so I took a large tree pot and potted some in it.I kept the pot in the shed,and as of this morning I have sprouts.Nice to see,but the weather is still nasty.I dont know what to do with them after they bloom.Can they stay in the pot all summer?
lilybulb

Re: Tulips

Postby Countryboy » Apr 10, 2013 6:22 pm

Well good for u! Mobile Tulips! :) lol

And ya... I remember throwing bulbs in the ground in rotten weather last Fall. :(

But u probably could use some space in the shed so I would set the pot out in your favourite spot. The timing will be your choice. Many early bulbs can stand a cool nite . . . tho cold soil may slow them down some. Set them out now and cover them overnite, maybe?

If u want to move the bulbs from the pot then let the plants flower and deadhead them . . leaving the leaves in place 'til they get dry and brown. At that point u can dig up the bulbs and store them.

Or leave them where they are for Mobile Tulips next Spring! :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Re: Tulips

Postby lilybulb » Apr 11, 2013 9:27 am

Wow,thank you countryboy,nice to get an answer.I have just come back to this forum after many years,used to be here ,and now I see the gang that used to control are gone so will try again.Maybe now I wont be ignored or pushed out.
Yes I was happy to see my tulips coming up.I am not sure how to store over summer,so will leave them in the pot.It is large so they have lots of room.When I had to shovel snow I would throw some on top of the pot in the shed,looks like it worked.

Nice talking to you
lilybulb

Return to Plant Talk