Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Boxwood

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Boxwood

Postby ari1 » Apr 28, 2013 2:46 pm

I've been reading a bit about Boxwoods online and it seems it's a plant that involves quite a bit of care, from shielding it from the winter cold to pests that can cause its leaves to yellow. Thing is, I've already planted the shrub in my yard (facing Southeast) this weekend. I was hoping to plant shrubs that don't grow too big and don't involve a lot of work. Would a boxwood fit that category? Have any of you had success with boxwoods and if so, what are some tips you'd offer? Thanks!

-A
ari1

Re: Boxwood

Postby ari1 » Apr 28, 2013 3:10 pm

This is what it looks like right now. Note that I didn't take it out of the biodegradable container, but I did have to cut two inches of that container from the bottom due to the depth of the hole the boxwood was planted in. Would this pose an issue?
Attachments
IMG-20130428-02061.jpg
ari1

Postby Canadian Ent » Apr 28, 2013 6:59 pm

It looks very good!

I have a number of boxwoods on my property. I also planted most of them right in the peat container like you have done; that's what you're supposed to do - the roots will break through and the container will eventually break down in the soil and act as compost.

Also - boxwoods have very shallow roots so it will make no difference whatsoever that you removed the bottom. And if it is a little above the level of the ground that doesn't matter either.

Boxwoods grow very slowly and you can trim them once a year and keep them in the shape you want.

Water it frequently, but not too much. If you water with a hose make sure you water the leaves.

The first year I planted boxwoods I thought you had to wrap them for the winter, but I never bothered and they have done just fine. They yellow or brown a little bit in the fall and winter, but green up in the spring.

I let them grow through the season so that I trim off the new growth in the spring. They keep the shape I want through the summer and any yellowing/browning (which is extremely slight and would probably go away anyway) which happens in the fall and winter is on the new growth so that gets trimmed.

Enjoy your plant and don't worry about it.
Canadian Ent

Postby ari1 » Apr 28, 2013 7:24 pm

Phew. Thanks for that optimistic update. At first I was thinking I should just return it and plant something a bit easier to deal with, but I gotta' say, this plant has a certain ornateness you don't see in others and that's partly why I picked it up in the first place. Also, what zone do you live in? I'm in the GTA not far from the lake so a zone 6. I take it I wouldn't have to wrap it up in the winter with burlap? Finally, how often should I be watering it? Would once a week suffice, on average?

Thanks!
ari1

Postby Canadian Ent » Apr 28, 2013 8:56 pm

I live in Richmond Hill - just north of you. I think we are zone 5a or 5b. As I say, I don't bother to wrap them.

I love the boxwoods, too, for their ornateness. If you look at the gardens of Europe (including from the Renaissance through the 18th century - google "Renaissance Gardens" or "eighteenth century gardens" you'll see tonnes of boxwoods - all those shaped, square maze-like hedges are boxwood, for example), they were stocked with boxwoods because they can be shaped so well.

As for watering, the first year I planted my boxwoods I watered them every other day and the tips started to turn yellow from overwatering. Now I water them thoroughly once a week to every two weeks, depending on how much it rains. I think they don't like wet feet, but make sure the soil doesn't dry out too much.

(I put some pictures of some of my boxwoods in the other thread you started - they have been in the ground for around 3 years)
Canadian Ent

Postby conniepr » Apr 29, 2013 8:18 am

I've been thinking about this type of shrub for my front flower bed. I like the look of yours. Could you pass along the name of it?
conniepr

Postby lilybulb » Apr 29, 2013 9:28 am

I would be interested in the name also,that is really nice.
lilybulb

Postby ari1 » Apr 30, 2013 3:40 am

Just saw that photo of the boxwoods in your yard Canadian Ent. They look to be in excellent shape. Connipr and lilybulb, the shrub is called a boxwood, though I'm not sure if it can handle zone 3. The one I picked up goes to zone 5, according to the label on it. It's a 'Winter Beauty Boxwood'. But I'm thinking if you wrap it up in the winter it may be able to tough it out. The smaller shrub next to it is an 'emerald gaiety'. Also planted a few coral bells — which have rust-coloured leaves — siberian iris and two chinese lantern plants.
ari1

Return to Plant Talk