Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Strange purple plant growing around lawn.

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Strange purple plant growing around lawn.

Postby hedgehog88 » May 05, 2013 6:34 pm

Can anyone help me identify what this plant is? I'll started first close to the house so I thought it was a plant left from the last owner. Now I see them in the middle of my backyard area. Also is there a spray I can use to kill them? What ingredient should I pay attention to when purchasing a spray for it, if that is required.

Lastly, what is the best way to get rid of clovers, since they're within the same topic of "get rid of them".

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_0755.jpg
hedgehog88

Re: Strange purple plant growing around lawn.

Postby Puff10 » May 05, 2013 7:19 pm

This is grape hyacinth ( a bulb planted previous season)
Puff10

Postby Countryboy » May 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Definitly Grape Hyacinth... AKA 'Muscari'. And u've got it growing all over? I'm soooo jealous. :( lol

U won't have to spray them at all. Simply dig up the unwanted bulbs. Ideally transplant them to an area where they will fit in... or u could give them to me! :D

Clover in a lawn??? Just mow it. It's good to have a bit of clover mixed in with yr lawn grasses. A great supplier of nitrogen. :)

Clover in a garden bed??? Weeding is the best way to get rid of it. Just not from hard, dry soil in the middle of a drought. U want nice, damp soil... the day after a rain is perfect for weeding.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby CG admin » May 06, 2013 9:58 am

Yes, they're grape hyacinth and they're beautiful... I'm jealous, too! Don't kill them. If you want to get rid of them, I'm sure a neighbour would take them off your hands. I would leave the clover as part of your lawn... at least it's all green. That said, I haven't tried it, but corn gluten is a natural herbicide that companies are putting out as an alternative because of the chemical bans.
CG admin
Site Admin

Postby hedgehog88 » May 07, 2013 8:34 pm

Thank you all for your responses. :) I didn't realize how precious that they are :lol:. I thought they were some other form of weed because it spawned up at random places in my lawn and was like :?:. Good to know now what it is now, and will preserve it at another location in the backyard. :D

As for clovers I've always wanted that clean looking surface of grass without weeds, hence the reason for my asking.
hedgehog88

Postby CG admin » May 08, 2013 10:19 am

Glad you decided to save it :wink:

For the lawn, I would suggest trying corn gluten. I think I need some myself! I have some type of wild strawberry-looking plant covering a large patch. I also read somewhere yesterday that keeping your grass a bit longer shades the ground, preventing weed seeds from sprouting. Good luck!
CG admin
Site Admin

Return to Plant Talk