Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Best vine for fence

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Best vine for fence

Postby ballen » May 09, 2013 11:43 am

What is the best vine/climbing plant to grow along a 60 foot wrought iron fence? I am thinking of planting some morning glory because it's an annual, likes the sun and grows fast. How far apart should I plant them? how many do I need to buy?
ballen

Re: Best vine for fence

Postby Countryboy » May 10, 2013 8:50 am

Oooops! :oops:

I stayed out of this thread 'cos of the 'vine' part. *I know nothing abt vines.*

But MGs I do know something abt. I plant them abt a foot apart,,, and intersperse the two colours... blue and red. I started mine early this year and planted them last Monday. But u can sow them directly almost any time now.

Throw in some Four O'Clocks for open blooms when the MGs blossoms are closed up thru the day.
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Postby Jersm » May 10, 2013 8:57 am

personally i would plant grape vines since i like making wine.

they basically took over my old fence and kinda keep it together too in some parts. :lol:
Jersm

Postby Jersm » May 10, 2013 1:46 pm

The vines spread like crazy and grow on what ever it can curl its little tentacles around. when it comes winter it dries up and ends up even more secure. then more green grows off the dried parts. ours even started climbing a tree thats nearby and using its canopy for extra height.

They cover the fence in a wall of green leafs you end up hardly seeing it. plus you get wine grapes.

i never water it or maintain it but its doing great.
Jersm

Return to Plant Talk