Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Morden Sunrise Winter Kill

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Morden Sunrise Winter Kill

Postby Knitwitch » May 17, 2013 8:34 am

Last year I got a lovely Morden Sunrise rosebush for my new front garden. It did well at first and then suffered a lot of leaf loss before going dormant for the winter. This spring its top growth is all winter killed and will require pruning back but there is life in the crown. Should I just yank this rose out or give it another chance? All the research points to it being a good selection but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced less than happy times with this variety as well? :?
Alison, in zone 5b Nova Scotia
Knitwitch

Re: Morden Sunrise Winter Kill

Postby lilybulb » May 17, 2013 10:04 am

I don't have a rose that the top growth doesn't get killed off in winter.All my roses need to be pruned back in spring.Don't pull it out,just prune back and it will send out new canes.I had 2 that rabbits chewed right back,but they are sending out new canes now,they were slower than the rest,but they are growing.
lilybulb

Re: Morden Sunrise Winter Kill

Postby Knitwitch » May 17, 2013 6:23 pm

I guess I was expecting at least some canes to survive and help this baby grow into a nice big bush rather starting over at base each spring. There is growth waaaaay down low already so we'll see how it does this year. It has lovely blossoms when in bloom. Love the yellow to pinkish apricot colour combination.
Alison, in zone 5b Nova Scotia
Knitwitch

Return to Plant Talk