Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Surprises in the Garden

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Surprises in the Garden

Postby repool » May 25, 2013 11:15 am

I am a newbie and thought some people may get a kick out of my supposedly annuals becoming perennials. I live on the Bruce Peninsula by lake Huron in Ontario (zone 5b), where its sandy. I have had this garden for 3 years now and I still haven't had to plant green onions, as I let some of them go to seed, and ignore them in the fall. I already have some seeding (budding to flower). I have pansies that I have tried to eliminate from my lavender container flowering.
I bought Brussel sprouts last year, and didn't get one over 1/2 cm so I just left it for the winter, and now I have already growing plants; what a surprise. I took a branch of my french lavender and put some of the soil on top of the long branch last year, and now have a plant that I already transplanted to under a window; yes that big.

In a planter I have got chives that I need to separate (growing for 10 years now), and also have another bunch growing in another pot (plants died) that was weeds .

I asked hubby to save the seeds from the red and green peppers (store bought) in our salads and now have tons of plants that need transplanted into garden! I just soak then in 10 % bleach water before I planting them. I have heard that peppers used are hybrids that you can't plant.

What surprises have you got that you didn't expect? :D :shock:
repool

Return to Plant Talk