Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Flower Bed

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Flower Bed

Postby saidta » May 28, 2013 12:45 am

I'm a novice green thumb, I have a flower bed that was filtered with ants a few years ago and last year it looked ok to plant Perennials (Hostas, not sure what else i put in there.) So I did. I know the order of perennials :sleep, weap, creep. Not sure in that order. However, I was going to stick my remaining annuals there today only to discover ants are back. So I mixed up a concoction of Borax and sugar and water to kill these pesky things. My question is: can I still put my remaining annuals there in a few days time? This flower beds faces south so it has daylight all day long. Thank you. :)
saidta

Re: Flower Bed

Postby Countryboy » May 28, 2013 6:40 am

Ants don't always conflict with a garden bed. A lot of the time u can simply leave them there.

But, if u must move them, it's easy. :)

Never mind the hot water, borax, or anything else they recommend, simply flood them out. Leave your garden hose, set on a trickle, on or near the anthill. And leave it there for hours... maybe even overnite.

The ants will move . . . and with no harm to the environment or to them. :)
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience.
.....Ralph Waldo Emmerson....

Frank . . ON5a
Countryboy

Return to Plant Talk