Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Tree ID?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Tree ID?

Postby soccermomof3 » Jul 29, 2013 9:30 am

Does anyone have an idea what this tree might be? We have a few on our property and we're wondering if they're considered a "weed tree", as they seem to spring up in several spots.
Attachments
P1010639.jpg
P1010638.jpg
soccermomof3

Re: Tree ID?

Postby CG admin » Jul 29, 2013 10:48 am

It looks like a mulberry to me. We had a few in our last yard. They do grow very very quickly. The berries, once they start producing, are delicious, but can be a bit of a mess when the birds get to them if you know what I mean!
CG admin
Site Admin

Postby soccermomof3 » Jul 30, 2013 12:27 pm

Thanks Tara, after you suggested that, I went and looked at our weeping mulberry tree, and sure enough this has the same leaves. No berries yet--maybe they have to be a certain age before they produce? Mind you, I hardly see any berries on the weeping one--I think the birds get them all.
soccermomof3

Postby CG admin » Jul 30, 2013 2:03 pm

At our last house we had the normal trees that grew like weeds and produced lots and lots of berries. At this house we have a weeping mulberry and we don't seem to get any berries either. Though the tree is always full of birds! It's also been improperly pruned, so it looks like the crazy mess in this one on the Toronto Gardens blog: http://torontogardens.blogspot.ca/2010/ ... berry.html
CG admin
Site Admin

Postby soccermomof3 » Jul 31, 2013 10:36 am

Tara, this is a new house for us as well, and the weeping mulberry has never been properly pruned either. That being said, is proper pruning only an aesthetic thing, or does it help the health of the tree?
soccermomof3

Postby CG admin » Jul 31, 2013 11:11 am

To be honest, I'm not sure. It's such a vigorous grower, I don't think it impacts the health, it just becomes an impenetrable mass (like mine) if you don't prune. I'm going to try to snip out some of the dead stuff in the fall.
CG admin
Site Admin

Return to Plant Talk