Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Taking care of hardy roses- winterizing

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Taking care of hardy roses- winterizing

Postby rosegardenzoe » Oct 10, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi, i live in Zone 4 and I had a few bugs discovered this summer on my hardy roses to the point that I had almost no leaves but only flowers. I had sprayed them all summer. Do I need to spray them in October to avoid infestation in next spring? Thank you :)
rosegardenzoe

Re: Taking care of hardy roses- winterizing

Postby rosegardenzoe » Oct 10, 2013 7:09 pm

Thank you. can I spray Horticultural oil ?
rosegardenzoe

Postby CG admin » Oct 24, 2013 9:04 am

From what I've read, you might want to wait until spring. I found an article with some info here: http://www.finegardening.com/item/18990 ... -you-start
CG admin
Site Admin

Postby rosegardenzoe » Oct 24, 2013 2:49 pm

Thanks Tara, glad didn't start spraying
rosegardenzoe

Postby sunkeeper » Nov 30, 2013 3:02 pm

Hi, I wouldn't spray anything on your roses now. Make sure you remove all leaves and flower heads. In spring when you see new growth spray with insecticidal soap. For black spot use a mixture of baking soda and water. You can use this method as a deterrent throughout the growing season. Always water your roses at the ground level, never overhead. Make sure you take out any branches that cross over each other this will allow air circulation. Watering overhead just produces more problems like black spot. When the ground freezes mound up with new soil at the crown. This will prevent the freeze, thaw that most certainly will cause death to your roses. Remember snow is a great insulator! Lorraine :D

You can also use a 2- to 3-inch wood chip or straw mulch conserves moisture and protects the plants from winter temperatures
Scarborough,Ont. Zone 6A Lorraine
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn
sunkeeper

Return to Plant Talk