Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Will my plants survive this artic chill winter?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Will my plants survive this artic chill winter?

Postby ckt » Jan 28, 2014 9:50 am

We live in zone five b, just north of Toronto. I'm wondering what kind of damage this extremely cold winter will have on the plants that are just on the cusp of our zone. Does anyone know what sort of plant damage will occur in our garden? Or do I not need to worry because we've got plenty of snow cover? Any insight would be appreciated!
ckt

Re: Will my plants survive this artic chill winter?

Postby Ian66 » Jan 28, 2014 10:24 am

The snow will certainly help insulate your plants, but with this prolonged extreme low temperatures will have an effect on exposed shrubs etc.....for example, you may find that some shrubs such as hydrangeas, lilacs may not bloom due to the damage of the flower buds or have tip die-back on their stems.
Other plants that you may have planted that are recommended for a warmer zone may not make it....

But take heart, plants are pretty resilient and may come through with slight damage...

Ian
Ian66

Postby soccermomof3 » Jan 29, 2014 9:10 am

I've been thinking this exact same thing, as we planted a new dogwood tree in the fall. We did put burlap around some stakes to insulate it, as the nursery owner suggested, but I sure hope it survives!
soccermomof3

Postby ckt » Feb 03, 2014 8:50 am

Thanks, Ian. I hope you're right. I can live without blooms but would be heartbroken to lose whole trees or shrubs. We've got a lot of stuff that shows zone 5 as the coolest zone compatible. Holly, Japanese Maples, Boxwood, Redbud... The list goes on and on. Fingers crossed.
ckt

Postby jjoe » Feb 12, 2014 12:14 am

I think the snow can protect plants from the cold.
30,000 Aeroplan miles and first year free: https://www.americanexpress.com/canada/ ... ofCg%3D%3D
jjoe

Return to Plant Talk