Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Fruit producing

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Fruit producing

Postby westerngardener » May 22, 2014 7:31 pm

HI, its the westerngardener here, i am new to the forum. I have a question, i have only one pear tree and i want some sort of ''pear'' coming from my tree. Can i get an anther from a flower and drop some pollen to pistil of another flower for fruits? Will it work? Probably not right, or i would've had pears long ago. I also have TWO crab apples that produce crab apples every year. Can i take its pollen to the pistil of the pear tree for fruits? Probably not or i would have ''crab pearapples'' already. Or should I graft my trees? I am assuming none of the 2 methods with pollination work. Do I have to buy another pear tree for fruit?
westerngardener

Re: Fruit producing

Postby Justanotherider » May 22, 2014 9:28 pm

Some pears are self pollinating, some not. If yours is not, you have, I think two choices; plant another species for cross pollination, or graft another species onto your tree.
Just when you learn how to garden really well, you're too old to do it anymore...
Justanotherider

Postby westerngardener » May 22, 2014 10:13 pm

So the grafted branch can produce fruits that are half pear or not? Also do you think i can use crab apples to cross pollinate with the pear tree? Thanks for the methods
westerngardener

Postby westerngardener » May 22, 2014 10:18 pm

So the grafted branch can produce fruits that are half pear or not? Also do you think i can use crab apples to cross pollinate with the pear tree? They are both in the subtribe Malinae. Thanks for the methods anyhow.
westerngardener

Postby westerngardener » May 22, 2014 10:37 pm

Also where could i get a different variety of pear's branch for grafting? Buy a new tree? I live near Calgary.
Last edited by westerngardener on May 22, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westerngardener

Postby westerngardener » May 22, 2014 11:04 pm

I think my tree is golden spice.
westerngardener

Postby Ian66 » May 23, 2014 7:16 am

Most pear trees need a pollinator.......you can graft a different species of pear branches to your tree for the purpose of cross pollination.....
Apple species will not cross pollinate with a pear....
You could probably get grafting whips from someone that has a pear tree by asking them or ask your nursery for a cutting......

Ian
Ian66

Postby westerngardener » May 24, 2014 9:12 pm

thanks I'll try blue grass
westerngardener

Postby westerngardener » May 24, 2014 9:14 pm

and does it work for a sapling? (grafting)
westerngardener

Return to Plant Talk