Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

very new at this, need suggestion/ideas

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

very new at this, need suggestion/ideas

Postby apaulas » May 26, 2014 1:53 am

Hello, I just found this forum and lots of great information easy enough even for a complete newbie like me :) so I decided to try my problem here.
I have been trying to find a ground cover for my front yard in Toronto. It's a small area, divided in two parts. One close to the house, then a stone path about 2/3 feet, and an area by the sidewalk. This area is about 4 x10 feet but kind of in an L shape, alongside the sidewalk, and it's the one I'm trying to find a solution for.
The thing is , I already found the ground cover I love, but I am told that it is invasive and not recommended for use. Worse I can't find anything else that I really like as an alternative no matter how much I look.I love the very dark green, very low, green all year periwinkle. That's exactly what I wanted for that small area. As I look for any alternative I just can't find anything I like.
That small area has a dwarf mugus pine in one corner, a small globe cedar ( I think that's what it's called ) the other corner, a quite small albert spruce probably dwarf too if that exists. Than in between it has a few ornamental grasses, 2 sweet flag and one that i have no idea of the name but love.
SInce we just bought the house last year and I'm not experienced in gardening at all we didn't do anything else yet. The rest of the ground has mulch and a few low containers that I have been using for some seasonal things that I like. I do not intend to plant flowers except in the containers and not many. I prefer green plants to flowers - on top of being allergic to be stings :) - and there is a lot of empty space which is what I wanted to cover with something, very low, very dark green and green in all seasons. From looking around to each yard as I walk to and from work I fell in love with the periwinkle each time I saw it.
And that's my story :) Now I'm stuck and ready for suggestions on alternatives for that ground cover.
Thanks in advance for any possible alternatives and suggestions
Ana
apaulas

Re: very new at this, need suggestion/ideas

Postby Ian66 » May 26, 2014 6:30 am

A knowledgeable person at a good garden center can help you....
Take a sketch of your garden with the problem areas and the horticulturist will be able to show you plants that you like .......as to colours, time of blooming and sizes that fit your garden.......

Ian
Ian66

Postby apaulas » May 28, 2014 12:13 pm

Ian, thank you for the suggestion. I hadn't thought about making a sketch of the garden, it makes sense. Hopefully I will find something close to what I like that is not invasive and won't spread onto my neighbours yards:)
Thanks again
apaulas

Postby artknapp » May 29, 2014 10:21 am

The area you want to cover with green, I think flower plants will work well. Addition to that you may plant some vegetable items for regular outcome.
artknapp

Postby marvinl_12 » Jun 02, 2014 1:21 am

thanks for information.
marvinl_12

Return to Plant Talk