Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Ant Hills under my spirea!

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Ant Hills under my spirea!

Postby Bug » Jun 02, 2014 11:46 pm

HELP! Ants destroyed 2 of my spirea last year and have now moved on to 2 more nearby. They totally destroy the shrubs, does anyone know how to get rid of ant hills when they are inside (below) a shrub??
Thanks!
Bug

Re: Ant Hills under my spirea!

Postby Ian66 » Jun 03, 2014 6:15 am

Mix Borax (you can get it at the drug store) with icing sugar and spread this around the hill.......the ants will feed on this mixture and take it down into the nest where it will kill rest of the ants.......borax is poisonous to ants.....

Also, ants do not like very wet soil......so if you can saturate the soil with water, they tend to move on....

Ian
Ian66

Postby gloworm14 » Jun 12, 2014 9:10 am

Thank you ,, i have ant hills in my rock garden, which of course is very dry, I like that garden,as I never have to water it,,I will try the borax, , I have tried to purchase it before at drug stores, they dont seem to have it, is Mule train Borax any good ?
gloworm14

Postby Bug » Jun 12, 2014 7:56 pm

Thanks so much for the tip, I will give the borax mixture a try! I already have it since I use it for my homemade laundry detergent. I buy it at the grocery store where the laundry detergents are sold.
Bug

Return to Plant Talk