Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Help! (dead plants)

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Help! (dead plants)

Postby Newbie » Jul 02, 2014 9:43 am

Hi All! I have a couple of plant issues that I need your help with.

1. Cherry Tree. I have a cherry tree that I planted about 5 years ago. The first few years it did fantastically and shot up about 4 ft (straight up which I thought odd but didn't really care). It never got many flowers but I wasn't worried. This year, it only got leaves on the bottom 1/4 even though the top had buds. The few leaves that it has are now shrunken and very limp (it's not a water problem). I really like this tree and don't want to lose it. Any idea what could be wrong with it?

2. Peony. I planted a small peony a couple of years ago and it bloomed last year. This year, it started growing buds but then stopped and they turned black and fell off. Now one or two of the stems have flopped onto the ground and some of the remaining leaves seem to be falling off. I don't mind moving it if needed. Any ideas? In case you were wondering, it's about 20 ft from the cherry with raspberries and a lilac in between.

Thanks
Aimee

Re: Help! (dead plants)

Postby Ian66 » Jul 03, 2014 7:10 am

I am afraid that your cherry will not survive, given your description of how it looks.....sounds like the top was killed this winter by the effects of the "polar vortex" that was evident this past winter (sustained record cold temperatures accompanied with high winds)....the shriveled leaves was your tree's last gasp unfortunately......

Your peony has suffered from peony blight (common fungal disease).....this fungus causes "bud blast" (flowers stop growing or opening).....the plant then becomes blackened and may die back, But your peony will survive and come back next year and will probably be ok.....

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/450/450-602/450-602.html
Ian66

Re: Help! (dead plants)

Postby Newbie » Jul 03, 2014 9:22 am

Thank you for the help, Ian. I was worried the cherry might be dead but didn't want to cut it down in case it might make a comeback. Good news about the peony. I'll just hold my breath for next year!

Return to Plant Talk