Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

What is happening to my cedar?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

What is happening to my cedar?

Postby Foghorn Leghorn » Jul 31, 2014 4:35 pm

Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I noticed that the top half of one of our cedars out front was drying up. I've tried giving it a fair bit of water but it doesn't seem to have helped at all, and now it appears even worse. The other two cedars we have are fine (one is in one of the below photos), but this one might have received more damage from the December ice storm in Toronto than the others. But if that was the case, why would it have taken so long to show symptoms? Shouldn't the symptoms have already shown in the spring? I've included links to a couple of photographs to illustrate what I'm trying to explain:

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y42 ... b08bb6.jpg

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y42 ... b44af2.jpg

Or is this something else that someone might recognize?
Foghorn Leghorn

Re: What is happening to my cedar?

Postby Ian66 » Aug 01, 2014 6:52 am

You are right, this damage should have been evident earlier.....looks like your cedar is dying back....
One cause may be from a flatheaded cedar borer......the only way to tell, is to inspect the trunk at the area where browning starts.....
In any event, the cedar will not recover and should be removed.....
Ian66

Postby Foghorn Leghorn » Aug 05, 2014 3:58 pm

Thanks for the reply, Ian. Do you think it's worth cutting the top half off at the dead point, and hoping for it to eventually grow back again? Or do you think the whole thing should be removed at this point?
Foghorn Leghorn

Postby Ian66 » Aug 06, 2014 7:14 am

Cedars will not regenerate new growth from old growth (unlike Yews that will)....so it will never regain its previous shape, so I would remove it and replace it with another plant......
I would recommend you research buying a conical Yew instead of a cedar.....since they will grow new growth from old wood, you can keep the plant the size you want by pruning it....whereas a cedar, you can only trim the outher active growth and over time the cedar will become larger
Ian66

Postby Foghorn Leghorn » Aug 13, 2014 9:13 am

Thanks very much for the tips, Ian. I will look into conical Yews as a replacement!
Foghorn Leghorn

Return to Plant Talk