Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

silverleaf dogwood diseased?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

silverleaf dogwood diseased?

Postby benrk » Aug 04, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi,

I planted some silverleaf dogwoods 2 years ago in Winnipeg & they keep developing brown spots/edges on the leaves & shrivel up, overall growthrate is rather slow/poor.

I'm tempted to think it's anthracnose, but descriptions always speak of purple spots & I'm really having a hard time finding anything purple in there.

Please help me identify the type of disease & a possible cure, thx!
benrk

Re: silverleaf dogwood diseased?

Postby Ian66 » Aug 05, 2014 8:03 am

Does not have the classic symptoms of anthracnose......instead, the leaves look like they were dried on the edges due to the lack of moisture.....Dogwood love wet feet as well as a rest from the afternoon sun (meaning that they grow better in a shady area and the leaves won't brown on the edges if the soil stays moist)....
If you could move the plant, it will do better....
Ian66

Re: silverleaf dogwood diseased?

Postby benrk » Aug 11, 2014 12:22 am

Thanks Ian!
Moving is not an option, it's planted on the north side of the house as a hedge towards the sidewalk under a big old tree, I chose it for it's shade tolerance, east of the tree gets morning sun till about noon, west late afternoon/evening, guess I'll just have to water more & as the root system grows deeper the problems should diminish.

Greetz, Ben
benrk

Return to Plant Talk