Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Storing plants in pots over the winter

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Storing plants in pots over the winter

Postby eljay2014 » Aug 20, 2014 5:24 pm

I recently had to dig up a LOT of perennials and put them in pots in our new house due to an addition being built. I can't replant them until next spring. What's the best way to protect them over the winter and should they survive? They are all hardy plants...have basically been ignored for many years. Zone 5b
eljay2014

Re: Storing plants in pots over the winter

Postby Ian66 » Aug 21, 2014 7:51 am

It is the freeze-thaw cycle in winter that kills potted plants......the best solution (if you have room) is to sink the plant (still in its pot) into the ground.....This will protect the roots from the above stated condition.....
If you can't do the above, then I would put the plants in a non sunny situation for the winter so that the winter sun does not heat up the pots during the day, only to freeze at night.....An unheated shed or garage will do, but you must keep the soil damp until the spring planting.....

Hope this helps
Ian66

Postby eljay2014 » Aug 21, 2014 1:43 pm

Thanks Ian66. I was thinking along those lines. Too many pots to sink into the ground, and no garage yet. I thought if I put them in a shaded location and covered them well with straw for the winter that might work. What do you think?
eljay2014

Postby Ian66 » Aug 22, 2014 7:01 am

That would work well....not too much straw though....you don't want to create an environment for fungus...
Ian66

Postby eljay2014 » Aug 31, 2014 10:26 am

Thank you!
eljay2014

Return to Plant Talk