Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Rowan Tree

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Rowan Tree

Postby slim.14 » Aug 26, 2014 12:12 pm

I have a Rowan tree in my front yard. It gets a good amount of light, and grows a lot of berries but it always looks half dead. A few branches have no leaves at all, and the ones that do are very thin, with leaves growing only on the outer part. What can I do to help this tree? Any advice appreciated.
slim.14

Re: Rowan Tree

Postby Ian66 » Aug 31, 2014 6:40 am

Sounds like it might be a soil issue or the tree may have a root issue....
You did not mention how old the tree is or if it was newly planted......If it was newly planted, it takes a season or two to become established and maybe struggling in part because of the type of soil you have......If it is clay, trees have a hard time growing in such soil....
I recommend that you water the tree regularly to keep it moist and if the soil is poor, add some fertilizer next spring and summer.....do not use fertilizer spikes.....it is a poor way to fertilize a tree and is inadequate........use a general granular fertilizer such as 10-10-10

Note for gardeners that might not know that a Rowan tree is another common name for a Mountain Ash ( genus Sorbus)
Ian66

Return to Plant Talk