Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Remove columnar aspen

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Remove columnar aspen

Postby myhippocket » Aug 30, 2014 1:14 pm

Hi all,
I am in the process of trying to figure out the best way to go about removing a 25ft columnar aspen tree and, more importantly, the inevitable suckers that come with it. I have read a number of options, but nothing seems very definitive. Has anyone had success killing a tree that suckers? Should I cut it down and treat the stump with herbicide? Or spray the tree with herbicide first? What’s the best way to make sure the root system is killed and stops suckering? And what is the best time of year to tackle this? I live in Alberta and fall is quickly approaching.

Thanks very much for any advice folks may have.

Hip
myhippocket

Re: Remove columnar aspen

Postby Ian66 » Aug 31, 2014 6:45 am

Poplars will sucker badly when the parent plant is removed.....my suggestion is to treat the stump with a high concentration of round-up......use a brush and paint it on the exposed tissue of the cut....
Any suckers that appear should be treated the same way.....that is to cut off the sucker and then paint (don't spray) the exposed nub with round-up concentrate......
Ian66

Return to Plant Talk