Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

What have you bought so far?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Mar 09, 2008 9:30 pm

Dora,

You are so right - seeds are getting to be very expensive these days. And when you open the packets up, you need a magnifying glass to make out the few seeds in the pouch!
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Eeyore » Mar 09, 2008 10:33 pm

dlb wrote: I spent last night soaking and bleaching about 50 plastic pots. Where did they all come from? :?
Dora

I was wondering the same thing.... :? :? I dug about 50 or so out of the garden shed and washed them all up. I'm sure I didn't buy that many plants in the last couple of years.... 8)
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Venice » Mar 10, 2008 2:25 pm

YAY!!! I got my bulbs at Costco yesterday. There was a great selection, the thing was packed, they must have restocked. I had some trouble deciding.

I ended up with 2 bags of the pink & White Dahlia's, and a bag of Peonias. I hope they're peonies or like them hehehe they were very full flowers and looked lovely on the bag.

I've got some seeds soaking, but I haven't received my big order yet. My Rose Mallow's and Cockscomb are doing really well, as is my Indian Blanket.

I got my lights working too, and the timers actually working hahaha. YAY!!!

Ven
Venice

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Mar 11, 2008 12:52 am

Venice,

There's no stopping you now!!!

Is this the first time you've started seeds under lights? Does Gizmo try to "help"?
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Venice » Mar 11, 2008 8:01 pm

Ya this is the first time with the lights, usually just in my south facing sliding door.

Ummm so far Gizmo can't be bothered to check out the seeds. The few times he's been down there, he'd rather be laying on the couch with the blanket then on the tile floor with me hehehe. He's a lover of comfort!!! I mean the couch is never enough, he likes to be on a pillow or blanket, or better yet a lap.

Ven
Venice

Postby Sheikea » Mar 11, 2008 8:42 pm

I have not bought anything.Is so sad and itching to get at it.I am going to agardening landscaping course mind you tomorrow.I was wondering what zone is alberta anyways.When would one start seeds inside?Itching to get gardening and out of the house.Hugs all.. :lol:
Sheikea

Postby GardenDoc » Mar 11, 2008 8:57 pm

Hi Sheikea,

In Alberta your zone can be anywhere from 1 all the way to 3a. I like to start my seeds about 1 1/2 months before that last frost.
Trade Seeds With Me at http://www.seedswaps.com.

Burgundy Frost Petunia, Painted Tongue flower, Zinnia Oklahoma Pink, Celosia
GardenDoc

Postby Eeyore » Mar 11, 2008 10:54 pm

Sheikea, you are zone 3A, same as me! Check the seed packages for when to start them. Most are 6 to 8 weeks before last frost. I aim for about a week after the long weekend in May and plan accordingly. If the package says 6-8 weeks I split the difference and use 7 weeks.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Mar 11, 2008 11:49 pm

I have a question for those who starts their own plants from seed:

Do you find that the plants are quite spindly? And how well do they harden off and grow in the garden (as opposed to direct sown and purchased bedding plants)?
DonnaZn2SK

Postby (old_user)earwig » Mar 12, 2008 5:51 am

DonnaZn2SK wrote:I have a question for those who starts their own plants from seed:

Do you find that the plants are quite spindly? And how well do they harden off and grow in the garden (as opposed to direct sown and purchased bedding plants)?

For me it depends on the plant plus how much time I have to take care of them. I have learned it is important to not start things too early.

I don't use grow lights but do have good south light. I use the top of my pellet stove for germinating the plants first. I also rotate the pot/flat daily once in the light.

They harden off fine if I take the time and trouble to do it properly. Which means hardening them off gradually vs just placing them outside and taking off for the day and then the poor little babies have to face any wind or whatever that turns up. I speak from experience here - maybe others are not as careless.

I like to set out plants before they flower or are too big as I find that they seem to settle in better that way. I find sometimes that bedding plants I buy are past their best before I even get them home.

Although there are some things (poppies for example) that I will always direct seed, the problems I have experienced with it are 1) I have a large amount of birds that hang around my garden and direct sowing makes them think I have just added a new tidbit to their menu. 2) I forget that I have sown some seeds there and either add more (of something different) a few days later or dig up the soil to plant a transplant. 3) I can control things (temperature/water) inside much easier than outside.

All in all, if you have the time and the right conditions, the quality is the same or better.
Betty
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished. ~Lao Tzu
(old_user)earwig

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk