Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

What have you bought so far?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby Sheikea » Mar 12, 2008 9:29 am

Hey there and huge hugs you are so helpful.Thank you so much for the info its abig help..i'm so glad i joined this webpage I think it will be so much fun to converse with more gardners.. :D
Sheikea

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Mar 12, 2008 10:11 am

Thanks Betty,

Now that the boys are older, I might give it a try! You are so correct - the plants need proper hardening-off and protection from the wind (this is from MY experience...)
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Eeyore » Mar 12, 2008 10:48 am

The first year I tried seeds they got really spindly and I lost quite a few. Like Betty says, don't start to early and harden off properly... but I have to admit, I'm bad at that....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Venice » Mar 12, 2008 4:30 pm

That's a good question Donna. I've never really grown from seed any plants I get a the nursery. I use a lot of petunia's so I just buy these, I've never had any luck with them sprouting, and I need too many of them to bother with this.

I also like to pick out a few here and there for my baskets. This year I'm going to get a few begonia's for my porch that's in the shade.

I usually only grow from seed stuff I don't see in the nursery's. Or that are really spendy.

The only thing I've bought and grown are Tomatoes. I thought mine weren't doing anything last year, whimpy lil plants so I bought a few early girls. Well I had some toms in a few pots and so I dumped the week dying lil things out and planted them up with flowers an stuff.

Well I put it them in the reg dirt pile, that I use for pots and in the garden. Well wouldn't you know all summer long we were finding these tomato plants growing ALL OVER!!! I had about 8 I had to pull out, one I left in the front and had cherry toms, and then there were a few I had to pull out of some petunia pots hahaha. I guess I gave up on them too soon.

So my plants did fine, but were a bit behind the nursery ones, that were a lot bigger.

Ven
Venice

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Mar 12, 2008 6:20 pm

What do you think about those huge pots of tomatoes in the garden centers? These are in 1-2 gallon pots and already have blossoms on them. They are quite pricey, but is it worth it to get tomatoes a month or so earlier?
DonnaZn2SK

Postby A Closet Canuck » Mar 13, 2008 9:59 pm

DonnaZn2SK wrote:What do you think about those huge pots of tomatoes in the garden centers? These are in 1-2 gallon pots and already have blossoms on them. They are quite pricey, but is it worth it to get tomatoes a month or so earlier?

Are the tomatoes in pots supposed to stay in the pots or is the purchaser supposed to transplant them into the garden? I would wonder about transplant shock with larger plants.

My neighbor's brother has patented and is trying to market a gizmo that allows gardeners to start tomatoes early. My neighbor starts his from seed in the gizmo in March and has tomatoes by mid-June. It seems a pricey way to go, given the gizmo has to heated using the electrical supply to the house. BUT, if one loves tomatoes, why not?
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Mar 14, 2008 1:01 am

Trish,

They're in very large pots, so I think they are meant for the deck, not directly planted in the garden. I've seen them for as much as $20 per pot. That's quite a bit more than the $2-3 for a 6 pack.

Do you anticipate an increase in the price of bedding plants this year? It seems to go up every year (or we get fewer plants for the same price).
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Sheikea » Mar 14, 2008 11:04 am

The other night I went to a wonderful landscaping class.Was truely fun.I also came about some Chocolate Moring Glories.They are so pretty looking I can hardly wait to grow them.I was sure I saw somewhere someone talking baout chocolate ..Has anyone grown them and if so how di it go?
Huge hugs all . :D
Sheikea

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk