Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

What have you bought so far?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Mar 29, 2008 10:21 pm

I bought some basket stuffers at Walmart for 57 cents each. I was inspired by some of you on the forum who used what I would consider houseplants in your outdoor pots. I bought Swedish ivy, spider plant and purple wandering Jew. There were also lamium, dracaena and assorted ivys for sale; the plants were in terrific shape. I imagine when May rolls around, the price will have tripled.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Eeyore » Mar 30, 2008 12:01 am

That's a fabulous idea Donna!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 01, 2008 4:16 pm

I just bought some "Citronella Heuchera" and "Coconut Lime Coneflower". Any one see the trend here?
Scrapinthehat

Postby murphy » Apr 01, 2008 8:02 pm

I have seen pics of that coconut lime coneflower....they look divine. I really hope the centers by me have some. Our garden shops are not really up and doing much yet. I have some really pretty morning glory seeds, lavatera, and another vine I have never grown before...can't recall the name and some castor beans...won't be starting them for another week though.
murphy

Plant buying

Postby DMG » Apr 02, 2008 10:12 am

I have bought morning glory seeds and climbing sweet peas, nasturium seeds, four o clock seeds, various vegetable seeds and a bag of 3 Asiatic Lilies. It's always tempting to see those seed displays but the prices are putting me off. Wow! some seed packages are 3 dollars and more for a small bit of seed. Seed exchanging makes a lot of sense! DMG
Gardening in Zone 5
DMG

Postby haili » Apr 02, 2008 11:53 am

Those lamiums are great as fillers for containers and mine come back every year in the barrel and larger containers. The one with the yellow flower hangs down beautifully in those wall sconces.

I did buy a large basket of the green and white ivy for $5 at Terra and plan to divide it up for wall sconces or containers and have a couple of indoor plants to put out when it gets hot.
haili

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Apr 03, 2008 1:14 am

DMG,

I feel the same way about the seeds...the pictures on the package look so tempting, open them up and you have 15 seeds!

Scrap,

Did you buy seeds for the huechera and coneflowers, or were they roots?

I potted up the hostas, cannas and lilies that I bought from Costco. I'm not sure if that was wise; there's at least two months before I can plant them outside but I was afraid the shoots would rot in the bag since there was quite a bit of growth showing.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby murphy » Apr 03, 2008 8:16 am

I think they would be roots. I have looked all over..including online and every catalogue I could get for the seeds for that Coneflower. Veseys spring catalogue has them on the front cover....but they are only selling the roots. I have purchased this way before but just didn't like the results. The plants just never seemed to thrive. Do others have good luck with ordering plants from these catalogue companies. Aside from not having luck with them...these coneflowers are very very expensive...$25.95...for ONE plant. I am really cheap and just can't make myself pay that much for a tiny traumatized plant that might very well just up and die on me.
murphy

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 04, 2008 10:06 pm

DonnaZn2SK...neither seeds nor roots. I bought 5.5" planted pots for 14.99 each at one of my local greenhouses. I think they were listed for 19.99, but the owner said she would give them to me cheaper because they were so young/immature. Great....I thought I might have to pay more and these were on my "must have" list for this year. I currently have them in a south facing window in my bathroom (hence the thread "you know your addicted to plants when").
Scrapinthehat

Postby murphy » Apr 06, 2008 9:16 am

Scrapinthehat wrote:DonnaZn2SK...neither seeds nor roots. I bought 5.5" planted pots for 14.99 each at one of my local greenhouses. I think they were listed for 19.99, but the owner said she would give them to me cheaper because they were so young/immature. Great....I thought I might have to pay more and these were on my "must have" list for this year. I currently have them in a south facing window in my bathroom (hence the thread "you know your addicted to plants when").

Lucky lucky lady...I will be looking for this one for sure this year.
murphy

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk