Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

What have you bought so far?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Add Light

Postby GardenDoc » Apr 06, 2008 10:59 am

I like to use a Metal Halide lamp to keep my starts compacted. I use a 250 watt lamp to give extra light in April for my starts I find it makes a big difference. They grow faster and are much shorter and compacted before moving outdoor in the spring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_halide_lamp
Trade Seeds With Me at http://www.seedswaps.com.

Burgundy Frost Petunia, Painted Tongue flower, Zinnia Oklahoma Pink, Celosia
GardenDoc

Postby Cryssie_b » Apr 06, 2008 7:33 pm

DonnaZn2SK wrote:Trish,

They're in very large pots, so I think they are meant for the deck, not directly planted in the garden. I've seen them for as much as $20 per pot. That's quite a bit more than the $2-3 for a 6 pack.

Do you anticipate an increase in the price of bedding plants this year? It seems to go up every year (or we get fewer plants for the same price).

They are called Patio TOmatoes and are mostly for People who don't have the room for gardens etc or who can't have a garden for various reasons..This year they have over 1600 ready to be going into the fiber pots the middle of April for May long weekend shipping.. Our price averages about $16

Cryssie
Friends are like balloons;
Once you let them go,
You can't get them back.
So I'm gonna tie you to my heart
so I never lose you.
Cryssie_b

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Apr 15, 2008 6:46 pm

I bought a couple of Landini lily bulbs today. I admired Sharon's last year when she posted pictures...I hope these are labeled correctly since I don't have anything with this color in my garden. I also bought most of my vegetable seeds. Is anyone trying a new vegetable this year? Or a newer variety of something you've grown before?

I'm not sure whether to get seed potatoes yet, might be too early? I am looking at Viking and Caribe for this year. The AC Peregrine I grew last year were a flop...small potatoes with black spots, ugh.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby haili » Apr 16, 2008 7:08 am

I went looking for a new little shrub at Home Depot. They weren't in yet, though they were advertised, but they did have perennials for $1.99 so I bought 2 purple cone flowers and a purple palace coral bell. If anyone wants some extra basic perennials, that's a good price.
haili

Postby joan w » Apr 16, 2008 7:53 am

Sheikea, here's a map showing the various zones.

http://nlwis-snite1.agr.gc.ca/plant00/i ... yer=cities
Image Image
joan w

Postby joan w » Apr 16, 2008 7:58 am

I have bought 3 Calla 'Antique' bulbs and a hardy Passion Vine, some dahlias, jack-in-the-pulpit and a few others. Going to start some of Patty's and Mona's seeds soon under plastic domes.
Image Image
joan w

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Apr 16, 2008 2:35 pm

I should have bought some of those callas from Costco this Spring. Now I'm looking at paying $6 for ONE bulb. Do they have some impact even when planted sparsely? Or do you need a mass planting of callas to have any effect?
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Lindamct » Apr 16, 2008 3:42 pm

:( I haven't bought anything yet :) . I am getting the itch :lol: . Backyard is still too damp to rake :cry: . I would love to get my hands on one of those new Lime Coneflowers :)
Lindamct

Postby joan w » Apr 16, 2008 4:34 pm

More than one Calla is needed for a nice display, although I bought just one of another colour because I liked it so much and they multiply quickly.
Image Image
joan w

Postby Scrapinthehat » Apr 16, 2008 8:55 pm

Made another purchase today while grocery shopping. I bought two minature roses (pale peach) in 4" pots for 4.99 each. I have them in my ensuite beside my heucheras and coneflower. I love these minis sooo much. They look like hybrid teas, but obviously just much smaller (6"). Plus, they survive our winters here in zone 3b-4a. I have several planted and haven't lost one yet.
Scrapinthehat

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk