Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

wanted: no herbicide/pesticide lawncare help

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby Sharon Bryson » Mar 25, 2008 10:19 am

While we are on the topic of our obsession with grass, here is the little "God and Grass" story that someone posted here quite some years ago......
"God and Grass

Imagine the conversation the Creator might have with St. Francis about this:
"Frank, you know all about gardens and nature. What in the world is going on down there in Canada? What happened to the dandelions, violets, thistles and stuff I started some eons ago? I had a perfect, no-maintenance garden plan. Those plants grow in any type of soil, withstand drought and multiply with abandon. The nectar from the long-lasting blossoms attracted butterflies, honey bees and flocks of songbirds. I expected to see a vast garden of colours by now. But all I see are these green rectangles."

"It's the tribes that settled there Lord. The Suburbanites. They started calling your flowers "weeds" and went to great lengths to kill them and replace them with grass." "Grass? But it's so boring. It's not colourful, it doesn't attract butterflies, birds and bees, only grubs and sod worms. It's temperamental with temperatures. Do these Suburbanites really want all that grass growing there?"
"Apparently so, Lord. They go to great pains to grow it and to keep it green. They begin each spring by fertilizing the grass and poisoning any other plant that crops up in the lawn."
"The spring rains and cool weather probably make the grass grow really fast. That must make the Suburbanites happy."
"Apparently not, Lord. As soon as it grows a little, they cut it—sometimes twice a week."
"They cut it? Do they then bale it like hay?"
"Not exactly, Lord. Most of them rake it and put it in bags."
"They bag it? Why? Is it a cash crop? Do they sell it?"
"No sir, just the opposite. They pay to throw it away."
"Now, let me get this straight. They fertilize the grass so it will grow. They cut it off and pay to throw it away?"
"Yes sir."
"These Suburbanites must be relieved when we back off on the rain and turn up the heat. That surely slows the growth and saves them a lot of work."
"You aren't going to believe this, Lord. When the grass stops growing so fast, they drag out hoses and pay more money to water it so they can continue to mow it and pay to get rid of it."
"What nonsense! At least they kept some of the trees. That was a sheer stroke of genius if I do say so myself. The trees grow leaves in the spring to provide beauty and shade in the summer. In the autumn they
fall to the ground and form a natural blanket to keep moisture in the soil and protect the trees and bushes.
Plus, as they rot, the leaves form compost to enhance the soil. It's a natural circle of life."
"You'd better sit down, Lord. The Suburbanites have drawn a new circle. As soon as the leaves fall, they rake them up into great piles and have them hauled away."
"No! What do they do to protect the shrub and tree roots in the winter and keep the soil moist and loose?"
"After throwing away your leaves, they go out and buy something they call mulch. They haul it home and spread it around in place of the leaves."
"And where do they get this mulch?"
"They cut down trees and grind them up."
"Enough! I don't want to think about this any more. Saint Catherine. You're in charge of the arts. What movie have you scheduled for us tonight?"
"Dumb and Dumber, Lord. It's a real stupid movie about—"
"Never mind. I think I just heard the whole story."
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby Scrapinthehat » Mar 25, 2008 12:12 pm

Too funny...but sooo true!
Scrapinthehat

Postby Eeyore » Mar 25, 2008 12:20 pm

I love that story!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Lizcordysmum » Mar 25, 2008 6:50 pm

I love reading about the fighting to maintain the perfect lawn stuff...LOVE SHARON's story too!

Long ago I read something that said, if it ain't a tree, it's a yarb. Which means, an herb. If your lawn is in trouble, watch the herbs that grow...they are "telling" you what your lawn needs more of...and if you have an abundance of something in it that you don't like, you are being told what it is presently perfect for.

I advocate turning every lawn into useful growing stuffs....and I wish I was 20 years younger and could back my words up with proof.

flowers, and veg, shrubs...all can do you something lovely.

I am NOT ashamed of my moss. I just wish for different!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby A Closet Canuck » Mar 25, 2008 7:11 pm

Sharon Bryson wrote:While we are on the topic of our obsession with grass, here is the little "God and Grass" story that someone posted here quite some years ago......
"God and Grass .....

"Enough! I don't want to think about this any more. Saint Catherine. You're in charge of the arts. What movie have you scheduled for us tonight?"
"Dumb and Dumber, Lord. It's a real stupid movie about—"
"Never mind. I think I just heard the whole story."

LOL LOL LOL Good one, Sharon.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Weeds in Guelph

Postby Jeannie » Mar 26, 2008 10:51 am

The City of Guelph, along with many other jurisdictions in Ontario are on the band-wagon to prevent homeowners from using the weed killers and offer no help in suggesting what other methods to apply.

There is none. The weed killers have been used for as long as your grandmothers grandmothers have also wanted a weed-free lawn.

The powers-that-be....have decided a weed full lawn is not so bad, we can get used to seeing dandelions, et al, instead of that formal look they so despise.

But.....do they suggest this weedful look for everywhere our eyes look upon. Of course NOT. Public parks, golf courses are considered not covered by such law---they can still use Killex and the glyphosates.

What they propose is that as you see a weed, if it botheris you, then get down on all fours and dig it out.

Do you think the grounds of the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa will be masked in dandelions this year. Do you think where tourists flock they will be told to "please, walk on the weeds".

The law is strictly one-sided.....and I have made it my job of collecting as much weed killing liquids as I can afford for later use.
I was too late to buy the Cygon and Diazinon, was caught off-guard there....I don't intend to not have my weed killing herbicides on my garage shelf.

The law states if they see you apply such herbicide that is outlawed, they will fine you. I guess I'll keep my eye out for Big Brother.

You live in a community that has one of North America's best agricultural college. You might find their website and ask your question to them.
Jeannie

Postby OGrubber » Mar 26, 2008 1:16 pm

Lost my head. laf!
Last edited by OGrubber on Mar 27, 2008 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Re: wanted: no herbicide/pesticide lawncare help

Postby butterfly » Mar 26, 2008 6:11 pm

dllfb wrote:Guelph, in Southern Ontario, is passing a law soon, of no herbicides or pesticides for lawn care. Can anyone give me any tips as to a weedless lawn (other than get the knife out!) Is there anything that can replace the hose spray container of Killex or Weed b Gone...to spray a large lawn area? I tried the lemon juice and vinegar mixture, but it didn't work. I'd like to know what kind of "NATURAL" solutions people are using..that work! We have a lot of dandilions in this neighbourhood along with chickweed, clovers and moss. Thanks in advance for your help!

We have a law in NS since 5-6 yr

WE are not allowed to use pesticides and herbicides for lawn care. I have never used these products for anything.

There are many products in the market place that will do that same thing wihout hurting anything.

I use white vinegar for weeds, it is an all natural product and inexpensive. Most herbisides have vinegar in it anyway
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby (old_user)earwig » Mar 27, 2008 5:56 am

Butterfly, when you say WE, do you mean all Nova Scotia or just where you live?

I know Halifax in HRM has a strict bylaw but I did not think it was elsewhere in Nova Scotia as yet.

There are regulations that are to be followed in some areas about posting etc, but I have not heard that it has been banned throughout NS.
Betty
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished. ~Lao Tzu
(old_user)earwig

Postby OGrubber » Mar 27, 2008 8:15 am

Sharon Bryson wrote:.... here is the little "God and Grass" story that someone posted here quite some years ago......

Sharon, I believe that story was originally posted by MareE.

It's a good one!
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk