Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

wanted: no herbicide/pesticide lawncare help

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby kelly_m » Mar 27, 2008 10:16 am

That's what I keep saying!!LOL

And being on water restrictions in the summer, sometimes they are the only green in my lawn!!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Re: wanted: no herbicide/pesticide lawncare help

Postby Durgan » Mar 27, 2008 4:12 pm

dllfb wrote:Guelph, in Southern Ontario, is passing a law soon, of no herbicides or pesticides for lawn care. Can anyone give me any tips as to a weedless lawn (other than get the knife out!) Is there anything that can replace the hose spray container of Killex or Weed b Gone...to spray a large lawn area? I tried the lemon juice and vinegar mixture, but it didn't work. I'd like to know what kind of "NATURAL" solutions people are using..that work! We have a lot of dandilions in this neighbourhood along with chickweed, clovers and moss. Thanks in advance for your help!

I dig the dandeleons, but you don't want this route. It is easy, and presents some exercise. White clover I add to my lawn. Herbicide, pesticides have to be banned. Good for Guelph. My view.
Last edited by Durgan on Mar 28, 2008 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby butterfly » Mar 28, 2008 12:22 am

earwig wrote:Butterfly, when you say WE, do you mean all Nova Scotia or just where you live?

I know Halifax in HRM has a strict bylaw but I did not think it was elsewhere in Nova Scotia as yet.

There are regulations that are to be followed in some areas about posting etc, but I have not heard that it has been banned throughout NS.

we do here also Betty so I was referring to halifax and here.
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby (old_user)earwig » Mar 28, 2008 7:20 am

I had not realized your area had joined Halifax in banning them for lawns.

I knew Wolfville, New Glasgow and Truro were trying to pass a by-law as well but did not realize it had been passed for New Glasgow already.

Good news indeed.
Betty
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished. ~Lao Tzu
(old_user)earwig

Postby butterfly » Mar 28, 2008 10:48 am

earwig wrote:

I had not realized your area had joined Halifax in banning them for lawns.

I knew Wolfville, New Glasgow and Truro were trying to pass a by-law as well but did not realize it had been passed for New Glasgow already.

Good news indeed.

Weed Man used to do a huge businss here now we don't see their trucks around at all
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Lawn care ban in Guelph

Postby gingercat » Mar 29, 2008 9:50 am

I live in Kitchener, the ban is similar to the one we have here. You can still use a lawn care company. They can only treat weeds during certain times. There are signs that need to be posted at least 24 hours in advance of any treatment for herbicides and pesticides. Insecticides can be applied if there is an infestation.

The company I use gives me options such as organic programs. The fertilizers are all organic based. They recommend proper cutting height and watering(one inch per week) if needed. This also is compliant to watering bylaws. They offer top seeding and aerating.

If you choose to do it yourself, this area is prone to clay soil. Aerating should be done yearly. You can use a machine or jump on a pitchfork a couple hundred times. If you don't have time to pull weeds, make sure you pull off the seed heads(flowers) so they don't spread seed. Put them in the garbage not your compost. When the soil is moist it is easier to pull deep rooted weeds such as dandelion. Do not apply more than 1/4 inch of compost at a time because it will smother the grass. Rake your grass to remove thatch as soon as the soil is no longer wet. Add seed and soil to fill in bare spots in the spring and fall, these are the best times to seed.

If you decide to treat your weeds you are required to do the same things a lawn company does. You must post signs(you can get them from the region) 24 hours in advance. Only certain things can be used.

I use a lawn care company because I do not have the time to do all of this myself. I rake, do my own aeration, add seed and soil and pull weeds when time permits. The company fertilizes and inspects on a regular basis. They don't treat weeds if they are not actively growing. Since they know more about insects than I do that's why I like that they are here on a regular basis doing inspections and they leave me advice as well. I do not use pesticides and if they are needed I prefer to have someone that is properly trained to do so. I do the labour intensive stuff and save the expense.

Hopefully some of this information will help you. Darlene
gingercat

Postby kathiegroomes » Mar 30, 2008 12:36 pm

There is a natural brand of products called "Safers" you may want to look into, but I agree with most of these posts - instead of wasting the water, money, time and energy that a lawn requires, I would suggest replacing it with flowers and shrubs. If you still want the green look, you could replace it with irish moss or scotch moss (or any other hardy moss you can find that you like). They are low maintenance, soft, green, and never grow more than a few inches tall. And the best part? Very few weeds can permeate through established moss. Good luck and let us know what you decide! :)
Kath
Morinville, AB (Zone 3a)

Gardening is both my passion and my career :) I am the proud owner of a diploma in horticulture, and I love to help! Knowledge is useless unless it is shared! :)
kathiegroomes

thanks

Postby dllfb » Mar 30, 2008 6:37 pm

Thanks for all the ideas...I'll have to manage....that's the way things seem to be going now a days!
dllfb

Postby lirpamorningdew » May 19, 2008 10:32 pm

so, further to the vinegar thing... I have heard that in order for it to work you should NOT use the common 5% vinegar you buy at the grocery store, but a 20%. But I can't seem to find out where you might locate this!!! I asked at the greenhouse and two of their people were clueless. There was an "Eco-friendly" brand there that listed its active ingredient as acetic acid (vinegar) 62.5g per litre. Is there someone out there better at math than I? is this the 20% I'm looking for?
lirpamorningdew

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk