Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

wanted: no herbicide/pesticide lawncare help

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby dj_backq » May 19, 2008 11:08 pm

I mentioned in early post that I use 20% vinegar (available at a local nursery) mixed with a few drops of natural dishwashing soap. Spray it on weeds, on a sunny day they will die in a matter of hours. I use a paint brush to paint the weeds on my lawn as it will kill anything including lawn. I only use this method if pulling cannot be acheived.

It won't kill the root but multiple applications and the root will starve because of the lack of sun. It has do risidual effects on the soil or gardener.

A quick tip, once you pull a weed out put something in it's place or another weed seed will find its way. For my lawn, I pull the weed and resow the grass in the empty spot. Then I cover it with pine needles to avoid weed seeds from reaching the soil.

Also don't be fooled by compagnies pretending to treat your lawn the organic way... no such thing. Selective organic herbicides do not exist. Can't beleive people spray their lawns for cosmetic and looks, that same lawn their children plays in.
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Postby lirpamorningdew » May 21, 2008 1:58 pm

what does this 20% at your local nursery look like? how is it sold? under a brand name?
lirpamorningdew

Postby dj_backq » May 21, 2008 2:43 pm

The one I use is a white bottle with plain label. It's sold as a agricultural product, brand name is Eco-smart Alternatives but it's a product from PEI, I don't know if it's available outside of the maritimes.
Andre

dj_backq

Postby lirpamorningdew » May 21, 2008 5:54 pm

thanks Andre, that's a good lead. I'll maybe try my UFA.
lirpamorningdew

Re: wanted: no herbicide/pesticide lawncare help

Postby sunkeeper » May 21, 2008 8:52 pm

dllfb wrote:Guelph, in Southern Ontario, is passing a law soon, of no herbicides or pesticides for lawn care. Can anyone give me any tips as to a weedless lawn (other than get the knife out!) Is there anything that can replace the hose spray container of Killex or Weed b Gone...to spray a large lawn area? I tried the lemon juice and vinegar mixture, but it didn't work. I'd like to know what kind of "NATURAL" solutions people are using..that work! We have a lot of dandilions in this neighbourhood along with chickweed, clovers and moss. Thanks in advance for your help!

The best way to prevent weeds in the first place is: 1) Top dress every spring, 2) overseed,overseed,overseed, 3) use a starter fertilizer, 4) leave your grass about 2 inch long and leave on grass clippings, 5) water deeply once a week adjust according to rain. Use a oscilator and measure 1 inch of water. Do not use a hose to sprinkle grass. The roots of the grass will stay underneath the soil searching for water. Watering deeply the roots will go down in search of water. Having a thick healthy lawn will prevent weed seeds from entering the grass and germinating.
I have used this method for over 30 years and I don't get weeds!
Canadian Tire sells a product that takes out weeds.

Fiskars Deluxe Telescopic Stand-Up Weeder

Sale: $34.98

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?postal=M1S4C3&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443304249&bmForm=form_set_price_list&bmFormID=1211417362211&bmUID=1211417362211&bmHash=8230e8393f3b720b55aafb95fbbec7b8b1f2d086
Scarborough,Ont. Zone 6A Lorraine
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn
sunkeeper

Postby dj_backq » May 21, 2008 9:42 pm

I love your emphasis on over seed! :)
Andre

dj_backq

Previous

Return to Plant Talk