Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

castor beans

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

castor beans

Postby sweetnuts » Mar 27, 2008 11:49 am

I saved seeds from my castor beans plants, kept in fridge for the winter, some just in the storage room, planted 10 Feb. 9th/08/ nothing growing yet. Oh yes , I soaked some overnight in water before planting. I tried unsuccessully last year with no luck. Anyone have suggestions. thanks
sweetnuts

Postby Larkspur » Mar 27, 2008 12:15 pm

I have been growing caster beans for a few years now...and have success both planting indoors and out doors...they do take a long time to spout...weeks...be patient and they will grow...just don't let your soil dry out...always keep moist...mist with water bottle is good...which kind do you have the green or the burgandy ones...I always grow the burgandy ones they are so beautiful...good luck...and enjoy...Larkspur
Larkspur

Re: castor beans

Postby Durgan » Mar 27, 2008 12:18 pm

sweetnuts wrote:I saved seeds from my castor beans plants, kept in fridge for the winter, some just in the storage room, planted 10 Feb. 9th/08/ nothing growing yet. Oh yes , I soaked some overnight in water before planting. I tried unsuccessully last year with no luck. Anyone have suggestions. thanks

I don't know about the soaking, but I grow castor beans every year from last year's seeds, (which I collect very carefully-accounting for all). The seeds are bone dry, when collected. They are the most easily germinated seed that I encounter. My seeds are simply left in an outdoor shed all winter until required. Germination is 100%.
My method until they germinate.

http://chazaf.notlong.com/ 31 January 2008 Starting tomato seeds. Pictures of method.

http://jiurag.notlong.com/ 22 March 2008 New Seeding Container.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby sweetnuts » Mar 27, 2008 2:15 pm

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY. WHEN AND HOW DO YOU PLANT THEM. I AM USING COMPOST AND POTTING SOIL JUST COVERING 1/2 INCH SOIL AND IN SUNNY WINDOW. COULD IT BE THEY WERE NOT DRY AND STUPID QUESTION BUT YOU TAKE THE BEANS OUT OF THEIR PRICKLY COVER, I GET 3 TO 4 BEANS OUT OF EACH POD..IS THIS CORRECT. I AM DOING SOMETHING WRONG CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT RIGHT NOW.
sweetnuts

Postby sweetnuts » Mar 27, 2008 2:26 pm

thanks for your comments Larkspur. I have seeds from both green and burgandy, and yes you are right, the burgandy are spectacular. i just know I am doing something wrong since you guys all say they are one of the easist seeds to germinate.... whats the secret????
sweetnuts

Postby Durgan » Mar 27, 2008 3:54 pm

sweetnuts wrote:thanks for your comments Larkspur. I have seeds from both green and burgandy, and yes you are right, the burgandy are spectacular. i just know I am doing something wrong since you guys all say they are one of the easist seeds to germinate.... whats the secret????

After reading your post, I put four beans in two pots as a test, and I will let you know when they germinate. I start them early, since they grow slowly at first, I am always interested in seeing how large it will grow in one season.

http://xrl.us/qpny 14 August 2006 Update on growth. Beans are forming.

I grow the red castor bean also, but it doesn't get as large as the green type.

http://xrl.us/o4dh 14 July 2006.
Two types of Castor bean I am growing. The Red one has a red stem, and the bean has a red background. The Green type bean seed has a white background,and plant the stem is all green. People tend to grow the red type, but the green has larger leaves in my experience.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby patty » Mar 28, 2008 8:50 pm

I usually don't start my castor bean seeds until the end of March, and I think they only took a few days, maybe a week at the most to germinate. I'm wondering if maybe your seeds might not have been ripe enough when you took them from the plant? You should have had something by now.
patty

Castor Beans

Postby sweetnuts » Mar 28, 2008 8:58 pm

thanks for your input Patty. I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Perhaps as you say maybe they weren't ready last fall but if I remember correctly I waited a little longer to be sure. I kept my pods in the fridge in a paper bag, took out the beans usually 3 to 4 beans in each pod, soaked overnight and planted. Nothing this year nor last. Where do you store your beans over the winter, are they frozen or just in a cool dark place?
sweetnuts

Re: Castor Beans

Postby patty » Mar 28, 2008 9:35 pm

sweetnuts wrote:thanks for your input Patty. I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Perhaps as you say maybe they weren't ready last fall but if I remember correctly I waited a little longer to be sure. I kept my pods in the fridge in a paper bag, took out the beans usually 3 to 4 beans in each pod, soaked overnight and planted. Nothing this year nor last. Where do you store your beans over the winter, are they frozen or just in a cool dark place?

I take the seed pods from the plant after they start turning brown, and after drying/cleaning store them in the extra fridge, the same as you do sweetnuts. When I'm ready to sow them I soak them overnight the same as you. Have you checked to see if the sown seed has rotted? Do you have any more seed to try? I could rush a few out to you Monday morning if you don't, and see how you make out then? Its such a bummer when seeds don't germinate.
patty

Postby Eeyore » Mar 28, 2008 10:42 pm

This is an interesting thread. I purchased some seed this year but had no idea that they could be a problem to germinate... I sure hope I don't have any problems!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Next

Return to Plant Talk