Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Potato dust

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Potato dust

Postby mike in Ottawa » Mar 29, 2008 6:29 pm

Someone mentioned that potato dust worked well on the red lily bettles, where do you get this product?
mike in Ottawa

Postby butterfly » Mar 29, 2008 8:27 pm

That's good to know Lulu

JUst had a thought. Wonder if it would work on aphids
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Re: Potato Dust

Postby Durgan » Mar 29, 2008 9:03 pm

Lulu wrote:Hi, Michael,,I'm the "potato dust for lily beetles" poster.

Been using it, very successfully for many years now; prior to finding out about it, at a gardening seminar, my lilies were nothing but stalks, by August!

Have posted a pic, to show the brand I use. I figure if it's safe for all those veggies on the container, then, it can't harm my lillies!

What is the active ingredient of King Potato Dust?
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Mar 29, 2008 10:12 pm

I remember needing potato dust years ago and the active ingredient was rotenone. I think potato beetles are cyclical, since I haven't had them for a few years.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Durgan » Mar 29, 2008 11:37 pm

DonnaZn2SK wrote:I remember needing potato dust years ago and the active ingredient was rotenone. I think potato beetles are cyclical, since I haven't had them for a few years.

I had 2 Colorado Potato Beetles three years ago. Eight the next year, and 200 last year. I picked them off my 50 potato plants daily for about three weeks. I am keenly looking forward to finding out how many this year 2008. My prevention was much rototilling to destroy their over-wintering habitat. I am rather fortunate, because there are no vegetable gardens within my area. The insect overwinters as an adult, and the weather kill rate is high-thank goodness.

Colorado Potato beetle - Leptinotarsa decemlineata

http://ColoradoP.notlong.com 1 June 2007

http://Colegs.notlong.com 2 June 2007 Egg Cluster

The Colorado Potato Beetle made its appearance today. I picked bout 15 off the potato plants, and removed some eggs on the underside of some leaves. Potatoes have been grown the last three years, and every year there are a few more Colorado Potato Beetles. All I do is pick them off the plants daily, since they are not in quantity.

Years ago my small potato patch was destroyed in one long weekend. Upon returning from a trip the potato leaves were completely covered or what was left of them. With a large infestation and a large field spraying is necessary. Good luck for the organic gardeners.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby mike in Ottawa » Mar 30, 2008 8:38 am

Thankyou Lulu, i will try anything to get rid of the the little b&^#$%*
mike in Ottawa

Last regulation of Rotenone.

Postby Abby1944 » Mar 30, 2008 9:12 am

This product will not be around for long.
Abby

Regulatory DecisionThe PMRA has determined that rotenone is acceptable for continued registration for use inrestricted class piscicidal products, with the addition of mitigation measures to further protecthuman health and the environment. The required label amendments have been made to theregistered piscicidal rotenone products and are available online under the PMRA’s ElectronicLabels: Search and Evaluation (ELSE) Search tool.The remaining uses of rotenone were not supported by registrants. In order to achieve an orderlyphase-out of the non-piscicidal products containing rotenone, the PMRA is requiring that alldomestic and commercial class rotenone products will have the following phase-out dates:•Last date of sale by registrants: 31 December 2008•Last date of permitted use: 31 December 2012
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abby1944

Postby Lisa-Adam » Apr 28, 2008 2:22 am

Your question is too vague to give you an accurate answer.
Gary Winnick is founder and chairman of the bankrupt telecommunications.
Lisa-Adam

Next

Return to Plant Talk