Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

growing lettuce..

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

growing lettuce..

Postby LinkCrim » Jul 18, 2008 3:18 pm

I'm pretty new to gardening and tried my hands @ some romaine lettuce, sowed the seeds like 3weeks ago, they've grown quiet well about 4inches high now. Just wondering if it needs to be spread out more, cause right now it seems all bunched up together in the centre of my bed. Thanks.
LinkCrim

Re: growing lettuce..

Postby Durgan » Jul 18, 2008 5:55 pm

LinkCrim wrote:I'm pretty new to gardening and tried my hands @ some romaine lettuce, sowed the seeds like 3weeks ago, they've grown quiet well about 4inches high now. Just wondering if it needs to be spread out more, cause right now it seems all bunched up together in the centre of my bed. Thanks.

The plants should be spaced about a foot apart to have good production. Romaine letuce can get huge about a foot or more in diameter and about 18 inches high. Usually Romaine is planted from small seedlings in early Spring, but you may get a crop in the Fall. I suspect Romaine doesn't like the high heat of Summer.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening