Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Cukes leaves getting spotty and yellow.....??

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Cukes leaves getting spotty and yellow.....??

Postby evepet » Jul 19, 2008 2:19 pm

I've noticed some of my cuke's leaves are getting quite spotty. And some leaves have grown very yellow. These are growing in a container on my balcony, and most of the yellow ones are on the 'inside' side of the container where they're not getting as much sun. I thought that was probably the cause of the yellowing. But many of the leaves on the 'sunnier' side have also suddenly got quite splotchy, so I wonder if I'm not watering enough? Especially since this has been a very hot, humid week. I have been watering them morning and again in the early evening. But maybe I need to give them a more thorough soaking each time. I guess in this heat I probably can't over water it, being in a container? The water drip tray is always dry when I check prior to rewatering, and the soil feels fairly dry too. Up to now the plant has looked extremely healthy - it's already grown up a trellis which is about 3' high and it's is still climbing & spreading.
Attachments
IMG_0394.JPG
This shows the container sitting on top of a shelf... you can see how the leaves are reaching to the right towards the sun. They're now twining a bit on the trellis to the far right. It's the leaves on the far left side that are getting the yellowest.
IMG_0391.JPG
Splotches, plus this photo shows some yellow leaves which are on the side of the plant closest to the balcony's back wall - they do get less sunlight.
IMG_0393.JPG
You can see the splotches on the leaves here...
evepet

Postby sunkeeper » Jul 19, 2008 6:16 pm

The best thing you can do for your cucumbers, tomatoes, roses is sprinkle about 1/2 cup of epsom salts into the soil. Epsom Salts is magnesium sulphate which you can purchase at a drug store.
Epsom salts strengthens the crown of a plant and stimulates buds to sprout new wood from the base. This is particularly helpful in increasing the number of blossom-bearing canes on a rose plant or other flowering shrub. Approximately one-half cup (125 millilitres) of Epsom salts mixed in water or scratched dry into soil above plant roots can be given in mid-spring and again in mid-summer. New ornamental and vegetable plantings can also be given Epsom salts.

Most likely the soil may be lacking in nitrogen. You can water in a fish emulsion.

Make sure your cukes get at least 8 hours of sun. Only soak the ground around the roots. Never overhead water.
You can also plant Borage inbetween your plants as it attracts bees who will also pollinate your cucumbers.

Here are some names of cucumbers that can be grown in containers and
planters:
Pickle Bush
Pot Luck
Bush Champion
Parks Bush Whopper
Salad Bush
Spacemaster
Bushmaster
Last edited by sunkeeper on Jul 19, 2008 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scarborough,Ont. Zone 6A Lorraine
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn
sunkeeper

Postby evepet » Jul 19, 2008 6:54 pm

Thx sunkeeper. I'll definitely do that.

Updated at 9:30pm. Maybe it was just today's heat... it was a scorcher. But after giving this container of cukes a good soaking of water at about 7:30pm with epsom salts in it, I swear they are looking happier! I think I've been underestimating how much water these need - after all it's now grown to be quite a big foliage size.
evepet

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening