Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

My Tomatoes

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

My Tomatoes

Postby Lindamct » Aug 09, 2008 3:11 pm

Image Lots of them!

I think half of the photo is being covered by an Ad again.....Too much rain this season, however, so far no Blossom End Rot. :-)
Lindamct

Re: My Tomatoes

Postby Pansy » Aug 12, 2008 11:08 pm

Linda your Toms look real good,now all we need is some good old Sunshine.
Pansy
Zone 5 B
Pansy

Postby Jade » Aug 13, 2008 12:48 am

Just wondering if you cut off the suckers and excess leaves on these plants?
Jade

Postby Lindamct » Aug 13, 2008 8:57 am

Yes Pansy, LOTS of sunshine would be good right now!Jade, I do take the suckers off once I have lots of nice size fruit coming. Also I trim the larger branches of leaves to let more light into the depth of the plant. :-)
Lindamct

Postby Trailblaze1 » Aug 13, 2008 9:37 am

They look great! I am almost considering taking a heat lamp out to mine. Isn't this weather something awful for August? yikes....
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby zinnia » Aug 13, 2008 11:45 am

Upon reading posts from others, I am relieved to see others have trimmed their tomato leaves. I read an article online plus seen a gardening show on tv about how cutting back leaves (lots of leaves)allows sunshine and air to to get to the tomatoes more easily. As well, all those extra leaves are taking moisture away from the tomatoes that are actually there. I have super trimmed back the leaves on my plants. Now I have to wait and see if that was a wise thing to do or not. For the way my tomatoes are looking, I don't think it can make them look any worse. A good dose of sunshine now would be really helpful!
zinnia

Postby Lindamct » Aug 13, 2008 2:36 pm

Way too much rain, and even when it stops for half a day it's still too wet to do any splitting and transplanting! Tomorrow may be a better day or us here. I hope my tomatoes don't rot, even if they are only green.
Lindamct

Postby patgeorge » Aug 14, 2008 2:27 am

Be careful about taking too many leaves off. Remember the leaves are the plant's "food factory". They also provide the suction to draw moisture and minerals up from the roots.
patgeorge

Postby Eeyore » Aug 22, 2008 10:18 am

Interesting that you've pruned off all the lower leaves.... Is there an advantage to doing this?

I know that the upper leaves should be left to shelter the tomatoes from the sun so they don't burn while developing but the lower ones always end up getting ratty and yellow.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Lindamct » Aug 22, 2008 10:35 am

I mainly took off the lower leaves cause they were so big, and they were blocking the sun from getting to the first groups of tomatoes forming. I have pinched off all flowers forming now, and trimmed more of the larger branches.
Lindamct

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening