Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Two pictures

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Two pictures

Postby Lizcordysmum » Aug 16, 2008 2:37 pm

one is of my chokecherry bush...I grew up in Ontario and really missed the chokecherries when I moved to BC many years ago...when I found this plant at the nursery I leapt to adopt it. Maybe I will get a very tiny pot of chokecherry jelly from it, this year.

The other picture is the seed pod that potatoes sometimes grow...if anyone is new to growing potatoes (in tires, like me!) please note that these seed pods are highly toxic and must be removed from the plants...do NOT toss them on the ground, dispose of them as you would any noxious stuff.

I haven't looked yet to see if I have any little taters...must do that before the rainy season is upon us.
Attachments
chokecherries.jpg
potato seed pod.jpg
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Re: Two pictures

Postby butterfly » Aug 17, 2008 7:00 pm

My place is surrounded with chockcherries

I let the birds eat them. I don't have the patience to make the jelly any more

its a lot of work

We as kids had jeely 3 meals a day I think on everything. lol,lol

They grow wild here
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Denise4bOnt » Aug 18, 2008 5:40 am

Chokecherries, I was out in the driveway just last evening looking at all the purple/black dots all over the place, I figured it must be the birds making the mess and now I know it has to be the chokecherries, I'm sure we have them growing wild around here.

And potato seeds, how interesting, we grew potatoes every year when I was growing up and never have I saw that before. I'm curious, if the seeds where planted would they not grow into potatoes??
The one who plants a tree
looks at the world through eyes
which see tomorrow, not today
Denise4bOnt

Postby butterfly » Aug 18, 2008 7:29 am

well, I will be darned.
I never saw or heard of spuds seeds before

Interesting Liz

I;ll look for them

when do they form?? when the spuds are read to dig?
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Lizcordysmum » Aug 18, 2008 3:08 pm

Some years, some potatoes, you get the seed pods, some you don't. They will look exactly like a small green tomato on your potato plant, hidden under the leaves (mine are!) check your plants carefully, BF...I will not be digging into tires to look for potatoes till mid or late Sept so can't answer your question.

You CAN save the seeds and plant them next year, yes...save, process the same way you would tomato seeds. IF your taters are a hybrid, you will not get potatoes from any plant you get, if not, you could. Especially those of you who throw these pods into your compost!

Chokecherries are jam-packed (forgive me!) with Vit. C.

Denise - if you think chokecherries make a mess...you should try Bing cherries...this is first year in six that starlings haven't spent hours in the cherry tree, splatting purple poop on everything on my patio including me and the pups!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby DonnaZn2SK » Aug 19, 2008 1:44 am

Liz,

Are you keeping the chokecherry tree in the pot? In your warm zone you probably have no trouble overwintering any plant.

I have a dream of retiring somewhere I can grow a sweet cherry tree...you talking about all this bird doo, now I'm not so sure. The birds in MY yard use the trampoline for their personal perch/toilet. The children make a big deal about having to hose all the droppings from the surface before they go on it.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Lizcordysmum » Aug 19, 2008 4:54 pm

Donna, yes, birds are certainly a consideration...crows make even messier poops than do the starlings...I cannot have a clothesline (small property and, I prefer to feed the birds) and we have a white car with the tv cable running directly along the length overhead means a purple polka dot car!

Yes, the chokecherry tree will stay outdoors in the pot...does, year round, no protection but it is alongside of a wooden fence (solid board, space between boards (1/2") so the mighty winds won't take fence down.
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening