Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

What a strange growing year!!!

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

What a strange growing year!!!

Postby kelly_m » Aug 27, 2008 8:04 am

This is the first year I have not raved about my veggies (which I am sure youse guys are happy about!!!) But it has been such a weird year!!

Although the garden was planted at least 2 weeks ahead of (my) average, everything has been so much slower! Yes a large part has to do with the cooler temps....But...I look at my tomatoes, and the plants I direct seeded are as big as the plants that were started ahead of time!!!

Now tomatoes were later because I did not start indoors this year, but they are very very very prolific!!!! I also found some of my grapes in with the Brandywine seeds I had saved....nice surprice, since cherries make a great gardening snack!! At some point soon I will be giving all my friends and enemies tomatoes... :roll:

Cucumbers I was sooo disappointed....I had planted 3 berms full of an entire package of straight eight seeds....2 seeds germinated!!! Holy was I pissed!!! And then , they took absolutely forever to grow and look like a cucumber plant!!! BUT...I am happy to say I have (finally) picked my first straight eight cuke and it was wonderful!!! There are still 4 or 5 small ones on that plant and the second is finally starting to produce!!!

Carrots...other than some are big some a stubby...I cannot complain. They seem to be my most reliable crop!!!

Beans. Beans. Beans. Well...lost plants at each end, so only had about 6-8 plants left :( . They produced...I was pleased...but then I thought they were done.

HELLO!!! They have now decided to grow bushier and flower....picked a dinner's worth off of one plant!!!!

And my peas!!! Thought they were done too....heck...I have never seen them re-grow from the base!!! Snipped off the mildewy dried up bits and letting the base grow...calling it my Grand P experiment!!!

Last but not least is the corn.....sigh.....There's always next year!!! :shock: :shock:

Last I'd like to offer my weather thoughts. Although this has been a wetter than usual summer, we have not received nearly as much rain as most the rest of the province. I have still had to water (had the sprinkler on Monday night) August usually being a much wetter month than July....it has been quite dry around here...the grass is browning up....

The temps OTOH have been much cooler, and perhaps that is why the cukes were so slow, but the beans and peas are putting out a second flush.

No clue about the corn though....at least the squirrels are enjoying it!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Re: What a strange growing year!!!

Postby butterfly » Aug 27, 2008 6:01 pm

I couldn't grow a carrot to save my soul. I guess I do't wait long eough for them to getminate so I have been told

3-4 weeks is oo long for me so I sow something else instead

But some seed must have taken at some point cause now I have a few carrots among my beets
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby OGrubber » Aug 28, 2008 7:30 am

Well, it was a challenging year here.
Record rains and cold temps [compared to our Summer norms].
Everything is at least two weeks behind schedule, and I had several seed beds washed out that needed to be redone. Hail the size of footballs [well ok, not THAT big. laf!] on at least three occasions. Most of my beds spent a week [some longer] submerged in water.

I completely lost the pepper bed. There is nothing sadder than seeing fuzzy rotting peppers, still attached to the plant, bobbing in aisle streams.

The weeds.. ... well, I never had a chance.

Seems I spent the whole Summer strategizing planting methods to accomodate both wet and drought conditions for next season. Two more months before the season is mostly over - I still have a weather ways to go.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby kelly_m » Aug 28, 2008 8:05 am

I guess that means you are really not into adopting the cranberry harvest method???? :P
I am fortunate to have not have to handle the weather conditions you've had Inge. Makes your job that much more a challenge....who said "farmers" were just dumb yokels...I say they are smarter than most. I wouldn't want to spend the time you obviously do planning, strategizing and the alternative last minute plans when the weather doesn't act the way it was supposed to....

Kruminating this morn....
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby OGrubber » Aug 28, 2008 8:46 am

"cranberry harvest method" . laf!!

Thanks Kelly,
I'm thinking of buying a boat, a stick, and wild rice seed for next year's "just in case" scenario. laf!
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby kelly_m » Aug 28, 2008 9:06 am

:o :lol:

Well that might work!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby kelly_m » Aug 28, 2008 9:07 am

ooops...wanted to add...Next year you'll have drought conditions of course!!! :!:
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby kelly_m » Aug 28, 2008 11:19 am

Laff!! Laura...the wonderful thing about living in Canada is the weather is like snowflakes...no two years are alike!! :shock: :lol:
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Next

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening