Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Tomato plants too big?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Tomato plants too big?

Postby tpausch2 » Aug 29, 2008 2:15 pm

This is my first year growing veggies and it's been a learning experience which would take way too long to get into. I read someone's posting in Plant Talk about how high some of their tomato plants are growing and I'm facing the same challenge. My Brandywine toms just keep growing. They're at least 7ft at this point. The problem is they are getting so heavy that a couple of them are crumpling under the weight. I came home one day this week only to find the whole thing on the ground. It was very sad as I lost a number of branches that had all sorts of little tomatoes on them. I used a 6 ft stake to keep this one up. I have a couple of the circular metal ones on the others, but they're not really high enough. Any words of wisdom on how to stake these indeterminate guys?

Tanya
tpausch2

Re: Tomato plants too big?

Postby kelly_m » Aug 29, 2008 3:50 pm

7 Feet?? WOW!! Short of digging a 4X4 post in, your brandywines will have to put up with make-do....that is...double stake them as best as possible.

Also you could pinch off the tops to encourage growth to the tomatoes already on there and prevent further grwoth.

Brandywines are my new fave. Mine are not as tall as yours or Rons, but I am very happy with production...I have used ski poles and broom handles BTW!!!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby tpausch2 » Aug 29, 2008 11:52 pm

So it won't be pretty but it will be functional. Got it. They do taste awfully good. I think they're worth it. Thanks,

Tanya
tpausch2

Postby kelly_m » Aug 30, 2008 12:23 pm

IMHO...flower gardens are for pretty, veggie for function!! :wink:

Yup...I agree, I love the taste of the Brandywine, but still waiting for the first to ripen!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening