Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Are BHG's edible?

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Are BHG's edible?

Postby Eeyore » Sep 14, 2008 10:19 pm

I've got Birdhouse gourds growing oin my fence and the Vietnamese neighbous have asked for seeds. I think they believe they are edible, I don't want to give them seeds if they aren't edible. Can somebody tell me if they are?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Re: Are BHG's edible?

Postby OGrubber » Sep 15, 2008 9:05 am

All squash are edible, Lyn - some are just considered better for eating.

To our way of thinking, gourds are generally too thin fleshed, stringy, and tasteless [comparatively speaking] to be used as food when fully developed, but, they are edible. I imagine at the baby stage they would be much more palatable.

Perhaps your Vietnamese neighbours have a particular dish/use in mind. They use a lot of veggies that we think of as "just ornamental".
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Eeyore » Sep 15, 2008 10:37 am

Thanks Inge, I knew you could answer my question. :wink:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Mervyn » Sep 15, 2008 10:48 am

If you find a recipe , post it, I'm curios to see what they do with it :)

I did a little googling and all I could find was instruction on how to make them into Birdhouses :)
Mervyn

Postby Eeyore » Sep 15, 2008 11:38 am

That was all I could find when I googled too. It wasn't entirely clear as to whether they were edible.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby orchidguy » Sep 17, 2008 2:46 pm

Hiya Lyn
Your BHG (Lagenaria siceraria) can indeed be used in culinary dishes. The immature fruit can be boiled, steamed, fried, used in curries and made into fritters. The pulp around the seed is purgative and shouldn't be eaten. Leaves and young shoots can be steamed and eaten as an alternative to common greens.
Medicinally a poultice of the crushed leaves are applied to the forehead and is said to relieve headaches. The fruit rind and stem "bark" is used as a diuretic, and a poultice of boiled seed have been used for boils and to treat mouth ulcers.
These are holistic practices and one should not use this unless full knowledge of any side-effects are studied.
orchidguy

Postby Eeyore » Sep 22, 2008 10:07 am

The neighbours being Vietnamese probably are aware of this. Thanks Orchidguy!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening