Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

tomatillos

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

tomatillos

Postby Sanza » Sep 26, 2008 1:22 pm

The same "friend" that gave me the ground cherry seeds this spring now pulled out and gave me some tomatillo plants with fruit on them. Can anyone give me some advice on these please. I know they should be used when they are still green, but can I use the smaller, immature ones that don't fill up the husk?
Sanza

Re: tomatillos

Postby Durgan » Sep 26, 2008 1:35 pm

Sanza wrote:The same "friend" that gave me the ground cherry seeds this spring now pulled out and gave me some tomatillo plants with fruit on them. Can anyone give me some advice on these please. I know they should be used when they are still green, but can I use the smaller, immature ones that don't fill up the husk?

What are you calling tomatillo?

I am slightly familiar with one type grown in New Zealand, which few people ever ate. Some times the trees or large bushes were loaded with fruit, which was red when ripe. I tried them a few times but really never established a suitable method of ingesting. The skin or outer surface was quite strong and apparently the few people who did eat them removed the thick skin. Most people I knew sort of sneered at the fruit.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby Sanza » Sep 27, 2008 9:04 am

I am talking about the mexican tomatillo, (physalis family same as the ground cherries) and is used in mexican dishes such as salsa verde. The fruit is used when it is green and if it is turning yellow it is overripe and loses it's flavour. That's about all the info I have about them.
Sanza

Postby B_BQ » Sep 27, 2008 9:30 am

Hi:

As you know Tomatillo is used extensively in Mexico, especially to make Salsa Verde. Lucky you to get some!

I can't help with your particular question, but I typed Tomatillo in Google and there's all sorts of information there. If you maybe typed in something more specific you may get more info. Good luck!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby OGrubber » Sep 28, 2008 8:14 am

Sanza,
If the husk is dry you can use the fruit no matter how large or small.
Also, the fruits, when yellow or purple [depending on the variety] can be mixed with the green for a less tart salsa verde. They also make a nice fresh salad [similar to a tomato salad] and are a very nice addition to either fresh or cooked tomato salsa.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Durgan » Sep 28, 2008 9:02 am

The tomatillo or husk-tomato (Physalis philadelphica)
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/1492/tomatillo.html
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening