Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Planting Garlic

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Planting Garlic

Postby Durgan » Oct 03, 2008 8:00 pm

Planting Garlic.
http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?SDAOC 3 October 2008 Planting Garlic

My garlic is hard neck snake garlic. (Allium sativum ophioscorodon Serpent Garlic, Rocambole, porcelain)

The porcelain variety produces a scape (seed tentacle). Porcelain garlic makes a plump bulb with only a few fat cloves (4 to 7). My plants usually produce 5 large cloves, and I have been using the largest bulbs for seed each succeeding year for five years. Porcelains are covered in a very thick outer skin, making them a good choice for storing.

The cloves are planted in October and harvested about 1 of July. Forty eight cloves were planted at six inch centers and the top of the clove placed about three inches below the top soil level.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Re: Planting Garlic

Postby peter2008 » Oct 17, 2008 1:34 am

Many people grow garlic themselves - it's easy and fun, even if you're not usually much of a gardener. You also get to the reward of eating your home-grown garlic crop. When planting garlic, choose a garden site that gets plenty of sun and where the soil is not too damp. The cloves should be planted individually, upright and about an inch (25 mm) under the surface. Plant the cloves about 4 inches (100 mm) apart. Rows should be about 18 inches (450 mm) apart.
==================================
Peter
Our mission is to provide high quality end to end solutions to the BPO segment in a manner that will improve the operational efficiency while reducing the cost of the services to the client.
4thdimension1@gmail.com
peter2008

Postby Durgan » Oct 17, 2008 6:54 am

peter2008 wrote:Many people grow garlic themselves - it's easy and fun, even if you're not usually much of a gardener. You also get to the reward of eating your home-grown garlic crop. When planting garlic, choose a garden site that gets plenty of sun and where the soil is not too damp. The cloves should be planted individually, upright and about an inch (25 mm) under the surface. Plant the cloves about 4 inches (100 mm) apart. Rows should be about 18 inches (450 mm) apart.
==================================

I am assuming that you have never grown garlic yourself. That copy and paste write-up appears to have come right out of some garden book. First: four inches is not adequate, six inches is the miniature. Second one inch depth is inadequate, due to frost heave in the
winter. Row spacing of 18 inches it too far for a small garden, since the spacing is mostly for ease of harvest by commercial growers.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby Trailblaze1 » Oct 18, 2008 8:27 am

Thank you Durgan! The photos are a big help, as well as your written documentation of your experience. I want to plant some, going out to try and score some bulbs today. We actually have two 'garlic festivals' in this area; one in Perth; one in Carp (they separated in two due to leadership conflicts). So there are plenty of people around who encourage the home growing of garlic. I always enjoy your very clear photos, much appreciated.
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening