Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

how to turn my lawn into a vegetable garden

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Bed #1 built

Postby Xiolo » Oct 16, 2008 11:36 am

Last weekend I bought the materials and built my first bed. It's 12'x4'x1'. I used 8 2x6x8's and some corner brackets and straight brackets and screwed it all together. I couldn't find any hemlock, and cedar was a little pricey. These 2x6x8's were only $3.50/ea. I put a couple of layers of cardboard on the bottom (of which I have LOTS since I just moved) and then put a layer of leaf/grass clippings that I snagged from my neighbor's garbage. Cost me about $70 for the single bed including wood and all the hardware, which isn't so bad. I was going to build 3, but I'll have to wait until next year for the next 2 (moving is expensive :shock: ).
Now for the soil... I'm still unsure of a mix since I have no compost going at home yet and no truck so it's going to be kind of pricey. I might wait until the spring to add the soil, and just let the leaves and cardboard do their work until then. Or would it be advisable to add the soil now to allow it to do its business over the winter?

Durgan, you are a machine. That garden looks amazing, and I love the process you used. And the puppy is extra, super cute. :wink:
Xiolo

Re: how to turn my lawn into a vegetable garden

Postby B_BQ » Oct 16, 2008 12:37 pm

Hi Xiolo:
Good to hear that you've made a start.
I personally would try to get some soil into the raised bed before the winter, plus either some bought compost or sheep manure. It will compact over the winter too, and you'll be able to see how much more you will need.
Do you have a business near you which sells different qualities of soil in bulk? This is what I did. I had a load delivered, and it really wasn't very expensive.
Or, you could, with help, get some really heavy duty garbage bags, and fill them up yourself.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Pansy » Oct 16, 2008 10:46 pm

When I started my raised beds I used...black earth...sheep manure & peat moss.Not too much peat or it could

make it to acidic.
Pansy
Zone 5 B
Pansy

Postby Trailblaze1 » Oct 18, 2008 8:40 am

To make a good garden, one of the key ingredients is the soil content. I've been adding vegetable matter to my soil every year, from leaf compost, and the contents of my two composter bins....and I am still disappointed with the crop turnout.
My neighbours, who compost with lots of sheep or cow manure, seem to have much bigger vegetables. I have not wanted to handle a lot of animal manure. My dearest friend and neighbour asked: "why the heck not?" and my city-girl answer is always: "cuz it's poo! I'm city born and bred, and poo-handling just isn't in my experience set".
However, I am going out this weekend to get some from another neighbour who is cleaning out an old barn and has offered me some for free.
So: maybe you could start by analyzing the type of soil you have, and what it needs to make it really rich and nourishing for whatever you intend to grow in it. It's a real study! Have fun with it!
Trailblaze is Diane Woodman
Trailblaze1

Postby galiano » Nov 10, 2008 12:30 am

Just to clarify something about material to be used for framing a raised bed. A poster in this thread suggested using hemlock as it would last longer than cedar. This is completely incorrrect. Hemlock, although less expensive than cedar, will rot far sooner than cedar, perhaps giving only half the life. If you do use something other than cedar I suggest you buy a liter of motor oil and coat the boards before making your garden.
galiano

Postby beeman » Nov 10, 2008 10:24 am

galiano wrote: A poster in this thread suggested using hemlock as it would last longer than cedar. This is completely incorrrect. Hemlock, although less expensive than cedar, will rot far sooner than cedar, perhaps giving only half the life.

When I quoted that information it was in comparison with using Fir or Spruce as the side boards, in which case it is considerably better. Obviously it wil rot faster than cedar, but it's also half the price, 'so ya takes yer choice'.
Better still would be 'Mini Ties' from HD, but again it's pressure treated and might leach into the soil, but compared to using old engine oil they have to be environmentally safer.
Join the Beekeeping forum
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Postby binaatthelake » Nov 26, 2008 12:29 pm

I have a couple of ideas that might help and be a bit less work....
No till gardening or lasagna gardening which creates permanent raised beds by just building your soil on top of the existing lawn. You can get the book lasagna gardening at your local library, information on permanent beds and how to build them on.
http://www.motherearthnews.com or http://www.theurbanfarmer.ca
Hope this helps and I would love to see pictures this summer on how it all turns out. :D
Binaatthelake
binaatthelake

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening