Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Bird House Gourds

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Bird House Gourds

Postby Blossom » Oct 24, 2008 9:24 am

I planted a few Bird house gourds from seed Last summer. Has anyone here actually made bird houses from them, and if so what was the process? They aren't all that big, but I would like to give it a shot.
Attachments
Birdhouse Gourds.jpg
"Life is like an onion - You peel off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."-Sandberg-
Blossom

Re: Bird House Gourds

Postby Mervyn » Oct 25, 2008 2:29 pm

I've no experience with those gourds, but if you google Birdhouse Gourds , you will find DOZENS of websites that tell you how to go about it.

Basically you keep them clean, in a dark place where they can dry out , occasionally checking on them to cleam off any mould that may appear on the outside. They can take several months to dry out.

Once fully dry, you simply drill a hole for the nest , the size of the hole depending on the bird you want to use it for.
Mervyn

Postby MareE » Oct 25, 2008 9:19 pm

Mervyn is exactly right, Blossom, and how the heck you doing? Long time no see/hear from.

Started growing Birdhouses 4 years ago. My gourd gurus were Craig and Bluebird and lastly someone whose name I can't recall who informed the mold formation was natural, and what a relief that was. Beautiful markings the mold creates. Over the Moon to hear that, let me tell you! First crop produced beautiful blossoms but no fruit. 2nd year more of the same. 3rd year magnificent yield of 13 from one hill of three plants. This year only one. Persnickety gourds. Lyn had great success in Zone 3b Edmonton. Wagering same size as yours. I was gobsmacked.

Store your gorgeous Birdhouses on a rack in a cool basement or closet. Rotate once in a while. By April, start shaking the gourds. When the seeds rattle, time to drill the hole for future boidies and release the seeds. Use fine sandpaper or an SOS pad to buff off the mold.

Gotten a lot of sound advice and settling for MinWax as finish, Blossom. Wild goose chase finding Johnson's floor wax. Really, who waxes and polishes hardwood flooring these days? Rhetorical.

Here're my guys and gals from last year. A veritable chorus line on a piano. Laff! See the one third from the right? That's a Dipper.

Yours in gourdom,
MareE;o}
Attachments
HARVEST-GARDEN sample.jpg
HARVEST-GARDEN sample.jpg (5.81 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Blossom » Oct 27, 2008 9:18 am

Thank you so much Mare. I like to hear advice from someone who has done this. My daughter also planted some gourds. She bought her seeds from the Dollar Store, and had much better results. Mine were from Park's Seeds, and I know I paid much more. I'll pass the info on to her, and thanks again.
"Life is like an onion - You peel off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."-Sandberg-
Blossom

Postby MareE » Oct 28, 2008 7:06 am

Hi Blossom. What, BHG seed sold at $ stores? This was the first year I sowed my own harvested seeds. Before that, got them from Stokes online. Not exactly cheap!

Good luck with your bird houses! Those three should supply you with tons seeds.

Mare;o} Hi Blossom. What, BHG seed sold at $ stores? I too prefer hands-on know-how. This was the first year I sowed my own harvested seeds. Before that, got them from Stokes online. Not exactly cheap!

Good luck with your bird houses! Those three should supply you with tons of seeds for next Spring.

Mare;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby MareE » Oct 28, 2008 10:22 pm

Ooops. Sorry about the double posting. It seems that I timed out chance for editing the blooper out. lol

Mare;o}
MareE

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening