Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Garden Research

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Garden Research

Postby ming_15 » Oct 25, 2008 11:47 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am a student studying Industrial Design in my 4th and last year.

I am currently doing some research for my thesis project about community gardens and organic gardening. (mainly focusing on fruits and vegetables gardening)

I am interesting in any information about gardening.

And right now I'm looking at winter gardening.

As far as I know now, it is possible to grow in winter and the fruits and vegetables actually taste better since they store more sugar when exposed to cold temperatures.

Please tell me about any experience you have whether or not about winter garden or simply any experience about fruits and vegetables gardening in general.

Here are some questions that I have in mind. Please answer any of them if you have knowledge of it.

1) Most weeds are grown during spring and summer and dies off in fall, but there are also weeds grown during fall and winter. My question is, is it true that less time will be spent on weeding during winter? (as I know that weeding must be done weekly during summer time)

2) How successful is the growth of fruits and/or vegetables during winter? And are the plants under some sort of cover?

I will add more questions as they pop up... :oops:

Thanks in advance for your comments! :mrgreen:

Ming
ming_15

Re: Garden Research

Postby MareE » Oct 28, 2008 7:19 am

Hi again, Ming!

I can't answer either of your questions. I grow veggies at the community gardens you visited and no winter growing or weeding happens there as the Town plough comes in as soon as the soil is reasonably dry. Might be later than usual this year!

I've overwintered Leek and Salsify transplanted to home garden, however, and covered the plants with a straw mulch. Never have I weeded in Winter. I assumed the little blighters were all dormant. LOL

Hope this helps a little. Are gardeners with greenhouses part of your study? Good luck with your project!

MareE;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby ming_15 » Oct 28, 2008 1:35 pm

MareE wrote:Hi again, Ming!

I can't answer either of your questions. I grow veggies at the community gardens you visited and no winter growing or weeding happens there as the Town plough comes in as soon as the soil is reasonably dry. Might be later than usual this year!

I've overwintered Leek and Salsify transplanted to home garden, however, and covered the plants with a straw mulch. Never have I weeded in Winter. I assumed the little blighters were all dormant. LOL

Hope this helps a little. Are gardeners with greenhouses part of your study? Good luck with your project!

MareE;o}

Well I'm really just jumping here and there and defining my direction of my project, really just finding problems (or 'opportunities' my prof says haha) I could possibly deal with.

I think I found a direction after reviewing the interviews I recorded.
Since there are waiting lists for the many of the gardens in Toronto, I realize why have those people wait when I could somehow solve that waiting problem which will ultimately allow them to start garden somehow without the need to wait for the plot.

So that's my direction right now.

Any comments or input is welcomed. As you guys are the pros in the field. :mrgreen:
ming_15

Postby MareE » Oct 28, 2008 10:08 pm

This is my suggestion for now. Have some more ruminating to do thanks to you. LOL Designation of plots is a major concern. Sign up and take a 10'X20' starter plot in one of the GTA or Toronto community gardens. Get the "lay of the land" so to speak. And of the gardeners. And of the thieves who drive away earnest planters. I tell ya, the vandalism gets worse every year. It's sad to see a family growing for themselves and/or their business being cleared of half their crops by heartless pillagers.

Would like to know more of your thoughts, Ming.

MareE;o}
~do not make tragedies of trifles ~ do not shoot butterflies with rifles~author unknown~
MareE

Postby Laura » Oct 30, 2008 10:03 am

Ming,interesting project you have going there,good luck.

As to winter gardening,here in New Brunswick where I am some people do over-winter root crops,carrot,leeks,turnip,in ground but do not grow plants in winter.
Laura

Postby Durgan » Oct 30, 2008 4:29 pm

ming_15 wrote:Hello Everyone,

I am a student studying Industrial Design in my 4th and last year.

I am currently doing some research for my thesis project about community gardens and organic gardening. (mainly focusing on fruits and vegetables gardening)

I am interesting in any information about gardening.

And right now I'm looking at winter gardening.

As far as I know now, it is possible to grow in winter and the fruits and vegetables actually taste better since they store more sugar when exposed to cold temperatures.

Please tell me about any experience you have whether or not about winter garden or simply any experience about fruits and vegetables gardening in general.

Here are some questions that I have in mind. Please answer any of them if you have knowledge of it.

1) Most weeds are grown during spring and summer and dies off in fall, but there are also weeds grown during fall and winter. My question is, is it true that less time will be spent on weeding during winter? (as I know that weeding must be done weekly during summer time)

2) How successful is the growth of fruits and/or vegetables during winter? And are the plants under some sort of cover?

I will add more questions as they pop up... :oops:

Thanks in advance for your comments! :mrgreen:

Ming

Have a look and use anything you want. It might give you some ideas.
http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?VEGVW Garden Journal
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby ming_15 » Oct 31, 2008 2:09 pm

Thanks for the replies....

I'm also trying to understand, why people garden...

If you could explain briefly why you started.

As of my current understanding, people garden because:
- they like to see thinks grow
- they like nature
- they like to eat the vegetables they grow
- decoration for their home
ming_15

Postby kelly_m » Oct 31, 2008 2:21 pm

I think you need to expand on what you have a bit...there is the challenge to find what will grow and what won't...finding new veggies and experimenting with taste.

discovering a new variety, and how it looks in your garden...

Gardening is by no means a static "pastime". There is constant change and movement.

And for some it is more an obsession than a pastime...many different ranges of gardeners. There are different types of gardens too, formal, cottage, veggie, or for others throw something down and hope it grows!.

Hope that helps somewaht....
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening