Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Soon to start gardening in Calgary

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Re: Soon to start gardening in Calgary

Postby Jade » Nov 01, 2008 10:09 pm

I'm in the very south part of Calgary, not too far away from Fish Creek Park and the Bow river. The zoo doesn't have a Hort club, but an educational program. There are classes open to the public, plus the Master Gardener program is run by the zoo. I'm off to hike in an area called Kananaskis tomorrow, which makes up the start of the eastern slope of the Canadian Rocky mountains. There are beautiful fields of wildflowers there from spring to late summer. Last week saw eagles, hawks, coyote, deer and moose while hiking. In another month, we'll probably be starting to cross country ski in the same areas. Believe me, you are moving to a beautiful part of the world. Make sure to enjoy it when you get here!
Jade

Postby gibbos1 » Nov 03, 2008 12:15 pm

Hi all,
thanks again for the information, really does help.

I've been making sloe gin and vodka for a few years now, brilliant as a winter warmer. Also a couple of years ago, I picked and made some Elderberry wine. Drank some as soon as it was ready and stored the rest, to let it mature a bit. Well I have been doing some research, asking different removal firms if it's possible to bring my wine with me, they said they would pack it into the container, but if it spills and damages anything, then we are responsible and can't claim on insurance :oops:
So I have decided to drink it before we come out and start again. If I can't find sloes, then will have to find a substitute.

We know Kananaskis, my wife's (Tracey) brother and family have a condo in Canmore. We were staying in Canmore and travelling into Calgary and then over to Okotoks, looking at houses and schools, we came back up on route 40 from Okotoks to Canmore. Bit out of the way, but well worth it, fantastic. Then this April we were staying with brother-in-law in Okotoks and went to their condo in Canmore for a few days and went visiting all the places we had been, but in the snow. Went to lake Louise, -21, wooooowwwww superb! That's one of the reasons we are emigrating, all this and loads more to explore.
Just to let you know our work permits have come and we have offer on house, so we are hoping to land on the 15th Jan, can't wait.

As for the cooking, I love it and when it's cooking something you have actually grow, even better.

Do you grow Chard, beans (runner, broad, French) and peas at all?

I have secured a job with a plumbing company in Calgary(apprentice) and Tracey has secured herself a job as an Early Years Educator, but there is one dream I would love to do(one day), buy a smallholding (acreage) and try and be as self sufficient as possible, growing our own, few animals, brilliant.

Any way better go, rambled on a bit. Big thank you again, please keep it coming,
regards to you all,
Carl :lol:
gibbos1

Postby gibbos1 » Nov 03, 2008 12:27 pm

Hay Jade,

Fish Creek park, not that far from Okotoks, maybe when we settle in, we could arrange a meet up??

My wife (Tracey) will actually be working in Millrise off the Shawnessy. :shock:
speak again
Carl
gibbos1

Postby orchidguy » Nov 04, 2008 12:29 am

Gardeners are as resiliant as the plants they grow. You can try to grow anything you want, if it doesnt work, then lesson learned. "Aside from the arts, nothing can give us the recuperative lift, relaxing peace and deep satisfaction in this mechanized, unnerving and disturbed world as to find our way back to nature and to take the time to subject ourselves to its healing therapy. Remember, flowers bring joy, plants lasting pleasure." OMG guess I'm rambling now. BTW, rr sleepers (ties) here are coated in creosote and the toxins contained in them are can be transferred to vegetables grown in their proximity. You can buy the untreated ones at most hardware shops and lumber yards. Good Luck with the move, and I am sure if you are determined, you'll have a beautiful and bountiful garden. Welcome
orchidguy

Postby Jade » Nov 04, 2008 11:17 pm

Yesterday I spent all afternoon working out in the yard. Tonight, it is snowing. You'll love it here. Once you are settled in - let us know.
Jade

Postby gibbos1 » Nov 06, 2008 10:34 am

Hi to all again,

how you are all ok, thank you all for the support and information.

I heard it's been snowing in Calgary, so is that the growing season over with? have you pick all your veg yet or are you leaving some in the ground for a while longer? I the UK, people leave their parsnips and sprouts and have been known to pick them for Christmas.

We are going to stop with my brother-in-law for a couple/few months, get settled, then find our own house, should be spring time, so you never know, I might start my raised beds in time for the start of the growing season. When do you usually start growing? Do you have a green house to start things off? I have been told that not many people have green houses around Calgary, because of hail storms????

Does anybody grow their own Pumpkin for Halloween??

Thanks again for the great response, will be speaking soon,
regards,
Carl
gibbos1

Previous

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening