Fruit & Vegetable Gardening - Gardening Forums

Trace Element shortage

Interested in growing a vegetable garden or a fruit garden? Whether you’re gardening indoors or outdoors, planting an edible garden can be easy and fun

Trace Element shortage

Postby beeman » Nov 15, 2008 10:40 am

I have written a couple of times in the forum as to how disappointed I've been recently regarding the lack of growth and lack of quality in my vegetable plot, in the root crop area and also my vine crops were pathetic.

I've just found a site with photographs of all the mineral deficiencies, boron, phosphorus etc.

It didn't, unfortunately, suggest how to add the missing elements!
Does anyone have a contact or information as to where or how these missing trace elements can be added?
Join the Beekeeping forum
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Re: Trace Element shortage

Postby Mervyn » Nov 15, 2008 12:52 pm

Try this link

http://www.ghorganics.com/page32.html

It lists how to add Boron, phosphorus , calcium, copper etc.

For boron it recomends

Apply household borax at a rate 1 tablespoon borax to 12 quarts of water. This amount will treat a 100 foot row of vegetables or 10 square feet of soil. Apply two times 2-3 weeks apart.

For Phosphorous (P)

Quick fix: Spray plant weekly with fish emulsion until symptoms quit. Apply a light soil dressing of wood ashes. Incorporate aged compost into the soil to boost microorganisms.
Long term: Mix rock phosphate or aged manure into the soil in fall.
Last edited by Mervyn on Nov 15, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mervyn

Postby beeman » Nov 15, 2008 1:36 pm

Great site. Lots of valuable information. Thanks.
Join the Beekeeping forum
www.beeworks.com/forum
beeman

Postby orchidguy » Nov 17, 2008 10:12 pm

Beeman
If you enrich your soil with wood ashes and bone meal, then that should supply your need for potassium or phosphate. (it is very important to disperse ash through the soil because concentrated ash will damage newly planted seeds)
If you have added a good amount of compost to your soil than it is unlikely that you have a boron deficiency (noted by corky, black tissue in root vegetables) This can be amended by adding granite dust or compost that has had sweet clover or vetch added to it.Hope this helps a bit. Good Luck next year
orchidguy

Return to Fruit & Vegetable Gardening